1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hows your debt been this year?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by enigma23, Dec 8, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I too had pretty grim debts as I entered 2011 but with Mr Belle's constant nagging I am now almost debt free and feeling great! Yes, it has been hard work and involved prioritising and self sacrifice but well worth it. In a few months I shall owe nothing........not a penny!

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Just got a CC bill of 4k [​IMG] so not very good at all x

3. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

I would like to say that threads like this have been so useful in helping me deal with debt, rather than ignoring it and hoping that it goes away. I've also been using moneysavingexpert.com , to help prioritise which debts I should repay first, to ensure that I pay as little interest as possible. My debts have mounted up since my PGCE and particularly within the last 18 months, when my partner moved out, which left me with the whole rent and bills to pay. I considered moving but realised that there was not a huge amount of difference between a 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom flat in rent, and I didn't want to incur more debts as a result of moving, saving a deposit etc. The last 6 months I've had to grit my teeth, but things should be getting better now, what with one student loan repaid (I shan't go into how difficult it has proven to stop the payments from my salary!), overdraft will be gone by Christmas, then I've got to tackle the credit card! I also got rid of any unnecessary debts, like my OU studies, a cheaper mobile phone, shopping more carefully in the supermarket, making sure I eat cheaply...... MM