1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How's your Christmas going?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Dec 11, 2015.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

This might be the best bit of mine. The tree and the outside lights are up and coming home is jolly and smells lovely. I've done the presents and cards and I'm on to the food stage. Mince pies have been started and meat ordered but I haven't planned the rest yet.

I've got a variety of Christmas lunches to attend which I hope will be enjoyable but i worry about eating too much too soon. Must dust off my will power.

I am going to granddaughter's performance next week so that will be a real treat - haven't been invited before.

So - how are you doing?

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Barely started. The tree's up and a few cards written, that's it.
    Ages, yet.

kibosh likes this.
  3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Tree's up and outside lights are up. Some presents bought, but I'm struggling with money and ideas this year. Cards written, but not posted. Feeling a tad out of control for some reason!

4. Dunteachin

It's just ONE day and a fancy roast dinner.
    Keep that in mind.

Effiepie, kibosh, RedQuilt and 2 others like this.
  5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

i think we worry too much about getting the right present. Smellies are nice for a wide range of people and useful and you can spend as much or as little as you like. Books are good too or food and drink. Lovely jars of chutney and posh biscuits etc in the local delis. Just so long as there is something to unwrap for everyone who expects it. Don't panic foxtail.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    foxtail3 likes this.
  6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

That's not it for me. it's the acknowledgement of the importance of family and friends and a mid winter celebration of light, food, drink and music that goes on for at least two weeks. All this - it's just one day - might be nice but it's not really how it works for me in practice.

monicabilongame likes this.
  7. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I'm going to the Christmas extravaganza at Kew Gardens this evening where there will be lights everywhere and a skating rink and a merry go round.

kibosh and Noja like this.
  8. bluelemonade

bluelemonade Occasional commenter

I felt Ok until yesterday, when I reversed into a post with a round thing on the top, still it deserved it.:rolleyes:

Sillow and kibosh like this.
  9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Doing OK.
    The beef is ordered.
    The presents are nearly all bought.
    The new table has arrived.
    The trees and lights are up.
    Lots of Nectar points to spend at Sainsbury's.
    My dog-walker is working up to and including Christmas Eve.
    Breeze!

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Going well.
    Trees up and house decorated.
    Most of presents bought and wrapped.
    Turkey ordered.
    Pudding, mincemeat and cake made.
    Cards being written this weekend.

11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Hope that is as nice as it sounds. Did the local lights switch on last week and that was fine but a bit nippy.Happy to be in tonight, after a brief trip to the pub.

12. Dunteachin

Well, yes, I was just trying to calm foxtail. I'm not a total Scrooge - have lunches and a party tomorrow night to show myself up at :eek:and a Christmas night game of Articulate to look forward to, but the panic that seized me when the kids were little to make everything magical has gone. It will come and go.

13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm looking for a game this year. Might up date Trivial Pursuit or might try Articulate. Any recommendations?

14. bluelemonade

bluelemonade Occasional commenter

We had " Cards Against Humanity" last year, which isn't what is sounds like at all. Quite fun.

15. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I booked my flight and holiday away at Christmas last February.
    Since I work at several different places I have been invited to several meals - one last night, one on Saturday and one next Friday.
    I shall buy my mother's present online and have it delivered and I hardly send any cards nowadays.

16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

We went to the Christmas market in Winchester last weekend. It was murder. So many people crammed in, it was barely possible to get near the stalls. I had to carry the dog to prevent him being trampled on. I won't be going again.

It had occurred to me it might be something to organise as a trip out for the residents. I'm glad I checked it out first, as there is no way they could possibly cope with it with their walking trolleys and mobility scooters.

17. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We went to the Winchester Christmas market at the beginning of last week and were massively disappointed. It wasn't the number of people, it was the exorbitant price for the stuff on sale.

The local one was better and I actually bought something.

I have posted the cards now, apart from some hand delivered ones. I've also done some online shopping, so the next panic will be whether it arrives on time.

18. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

@Duke of York

Arggghhh! Took daughter and grandkids to Christmas Market in Brummagem 2 years ago. On a SATURDAY AFTERNOON!!!!

NEVER AGAIN.

19. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I think I'm feeling a bit weird this year to be honest. I have a very dear friend whose Christmas will probably be her last and that pulls me up short every now and again.

Mr F has just finished a course of chemo and instead of leaping around, I just feel a bit strange about it. It feels a bit of an anticlimax somehow. Of course, there will be further scans and some injections, but I should be really happy the treatment is done. Well, I am, but just feeling a bit strange.

kibosh likes this.
  20. Dunteachin

Oh, sorry to hear that, foxtail - I didn't know. Things will be very strange for you both, indeed, and this time of year plays havoc with one's emotions. It'll be fine. X

cissy3 and kibosh like this.