1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Howmuch will I get paid?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by skills324, Jul 3, 2015.

1. skills324

skills324 New commenter

I wondered if anyone could help me.

I am about to start a fixed term contract in September. I will be paid on M6 which when I worked full time was £32,000. However the contract is part time (3 days a week). How do I calculate my salary so I can get some idea as to what I will take home.

Thanks in advance

2. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Schools can pay you at whatever point on the pay scale they like now so you cannot be sure that you will be appointed on M6.

In addition academies can set their own pay scale completely. Also if you are employed through an agency you might be on the agencies daily rate.

The only way to be sure is ask your employer, either the school or an agency.

3. teacha

teacha Occasional commenter

There are two ways to work this out, which both give you exactly the same answer. Firstly, work out 3/5 of 32,000 which is 32000x0.6 = £19200. Or, for a more complicated way, work out 3/5 of 195 days which is 195x0.6=117. Now work out 32000/195=164.102564, now multiply this by 117 and this gives you..... £19200. Your pay before tax and pension will be £19200 or £1600 per month.

4. tcoll123

tcoll123 New commenter

If you are being paid through an agency a daily rate congrats on being paid M6! Follow the instructions posted by teacha but also bear in mind the extra cost of being paid through an umbrella company - it might be worth you insisting the agency pay you PAYE.

5. skills324

skills324 New commenter

Thanks teacha.