1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How would you use a TA in an observed lesson?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by fakesmiles, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Am just looking for some opinions really. I'm being observed this coming week in a new school. I love working there and obviously want to make a good impression!
    I'm pretty confident on what I'm doing in the lesson but am in a real quandry over what to do with my TA in the main bulk of the lesson. I have two children in my class that are statemented and require an INA to work with them for the vast majority of the day (working at low P levels and we are in Year 2). Unfortunately my observation has been scheduled for the one lesson in the day when my INA is not in!
    In agreement with the SENCO, these children usually work independently during this session -practising basic skills at their workstation- this helps to build some independence and happens at one point most days of the week. Should I still do this during an observed lesson? Sometimes they achieve this work independently - other times they just wander about until I put them back in their seats! They are tricky to manage and work with and I'm worried about my whole observation going wrong!
    Should I let them continue working independently (lesson all about place value so I wanted them to use number moulds to make playdoh numbers for them to order from 1-10 the next day with INA) and be prepared for questioning by observer and potential fall- out if they decide to sit and eat said playdoh or throw it at each other? Or, use my TA or myself to work with them but lose out on focusing with my target group or highers where we could move the children on a great deal in the lesson?
    Argh!!! I don't know what to do for the best! What would you do?
    Thanks!

2. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Based on experience I'd say that whatever you do it will be wrong.
    (Sorry, feeling old and cynical today)
    However, I'd be tempted to use the TA with these 2 children - if only because it will reduce your stress levels and you will be able to concentrate on the rest of the class, without constantly looking to see what those 2 are up to.
    And good luck, whatever you decide!

3. That is exactly my opinion Rosiegirl -and why I was asking for advice! It's such a nuisance.I can see all the different arguments in my head already.
    I sometimes have a volunteer that works in my class on that day and I'm going to see if she'll come in. She has a good relationship with these children and would work with them well. Would solve all my problems but I can't bank on it!
    Thanks for your advice.

4. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

I hope she can!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Speak to the SENCO and ask if you can have the sometimes adult to work with them just for the observation. Other staff are often flexible if they know you are being observed.

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

If their IEP states that they should be working independently then it might be a good idea to ensure that this is happening in the lesson - obviously using whatever differentiated resources they might need to access the activity, which should, in theory, minimise potential wandering about/being off task.
    It might be a risk, but risks seem to be popular under current criteria. It might go wrong but you'll deal with that if so - it will be how you deal with it that counts, not the lesson going wrong!

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Oh, and a good TA will not stick rigidly to the 'script' anyway - if the girls in question look to be a little shaky, your TA should be able to pop over and deal with any trouble before it happens.