1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How would you start a character description? Yr2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, Feb 15, 2012.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

As the title suggests, we're writing character descriptions this week of granny from George's marvellous medicine. We'll have picked out info from the book, drawn pictures based on the description, hot seated granny, but now I'm at the point of planning the actual lesson and I'm stumped on how best to start the actual writing. Like to have a good example to show, modelling my own, but am completely stumped! I'm sure it's really easy and obvious and I'll feel really silly for asking such a silly question!

2. rainbowdrop86

As the title suggests, we're writing character descriptions this week of granny from George's marvellous medicine. We'll have picked out info from the book, drawn pictures based on the description, hot seated granny, but now I'm at the point of planning the actual lesson and I'm stumped on how best to start the actual writing. Like to have a good example to show, modelling my own, but am completely stumped! I'm sure it's really easy and obvious and I'll feel really silly for asking such a silly question!

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/4-day-plan-preparing-for-character-description-6079915/

http://www.devonldp.org/do_download.asp?did=8249

4. Takeaway-Resources

Takeaway-Resources New commenter

We always think about the following when we write a character description (sometimes you dont need all of these questions, but my children will suggest these when we write them)
    What are they like on the inside? (picture of a heart)
    What are they like on the outside? (picture of an eye)
    How do they move? (feet)
    What do they eat? (knife and fork)
    What do they say? (speech bubble)
    Where do they live? (house)
    What are they thinking? (thought bubble)
    We are a year 3 class
    Hope that helps,
    H x

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I really like that checklist type of thing.

6. rainbowdrop86

lovely checklist thank
    ive realised through looking at the other suggestions that a character description needs to be done once read all the book!! i didnt realise that! first time teaching yr2! im gonna stick with it, describing what we know of her so far, and then maybe do another one at the end of the book, or maybe a big write at the end doing a character description of George. So glad i asked now!