1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How would you safeguard the children?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by 4m4xx, Feb 16, 2016.

1. 4m4xx

4m4xx New commenter

This is a potential question for a pgce primary interview I have coming up really soon... And I was just wondering if anyone had any views on how to answer this. I'm not sure if the answer I have come up with is correct.

2. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Giving answers to interview questions isn't something that's really "done" here, only to avoid people (not necessarily you, the OP) learning them verbatim, repeating them to others, taking them as the perfect answer... There's always the possibility that two or more interviewees will give the exact same answer to a question and that will ring alarm bells with the interviewers.

I appreciate you're worrying about your interview. But have faith in your own answer, I'm sure it's a good one!

Best of luck. Come back and let us know how it went. :)

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

To add to Sillow's good advice - a very important reason for not telling people 'how' to answer safeguarding questions is that the health and safety of children is so important as part of the teacher's role that for everyone's sake you need to be aware of the issues for yourself.

Simple rule of thumb: would you be happy for your own child (or close relative's child) to be in the care of a teacher who doesn't understand how to keep children safe?

sopsychedout likes this.
  4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I don't think it's so much that the teacher doesn't know how to keep children safe... more that there are particular boxes that need ticking when a teacher is asked about safeguarding. And unless you have some training/experience in the profession, you don't necessarily know what those particular boxes are.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I still interview teachers for SLT positions and these are people with experience and training in safeguarding. Despite their training in safeguarding, some of them reveal a frightening lack of common sense when asked the questions.

6. sopsychedout

sopsychedout New commenter

I agree with the other posters Also, we can't give you an answer or say if you're correct because every school or college implements safe guarding policies differently and we don't know what they are at your future school/College (it's also against the rules on here to name them).

Bset thing to do is (if you haven't already), is to read the latest keeping children safe Policy and teacher support documents, read the school's website for any hint about what procedures are already in place and go from there in the interview if you're asked this question.

Also, I recall a while back that Theo had some professional blogs in jobseekers on this type of question. Are they still there?

I did both of the above and was praised for my answers to this type of question in my job interviews (and no, everyone, I didn't pre plan any answers but was mentally able to think of answers to the questions on this that I was given because of what I'd read about safeguarding etc while applying for the jobs).

Hope this helps and good luck in your interviews!

SPO

7. sopsychedout

sopsychedout New commenter

So do some managers and support staff, I've found in the past! :)

PS. Not that I know everything inside out! I'm still not sure what to do when dealing with certain pastoral issues, so always take a cautious approach when in doubt.