1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How would you prepare for this?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon468, Aug 24, 2011.

1. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I've asked a couple of friends who are experienced in the art of getting up in the middle of the night to catch flights and I'm still undecided.
    I need to get up at 2.30 a.m. (3.00 a.m. at the very latest) next week, to catch a flight that is leaving at some ungodly hour of the morning.
    What's the best way to prepare for this? I'm planning on going to bed tonight at 9 p.m. and getting up at 5 a.m. (*scream!*) and keeping that going for the next few nights. On the night itself, I'm aiming to be in bed by 7 p.m., by which time I hope to have 'trained' myself to feel sleepy.
    Not sure if I'm going about it the right way though. All advice gratefully received.
    p.s. am confirmed night owl and rarely go to bed before midnight, so this is going to kill me. [​IMG]

2. bnm

bnm

I never sleep before going on holiday anyway, so I probably wouldn't bother going to bed.
    Good luck with your approach.

3. I'd stay up and sleep on the flight.

4. For some reason I find night flights SO exciting! (Not on the way back though!)
    There's something thrilling about being up and about and at an airport with lots of other excited people while it's still dark outside! I can never sleep for excitement when Im going abroad anyway.
    Id probably do the same as you the night before, but not too far in advance because Id miss my lie-ins too much!

5. Airy - if she's getting up at 3 at the latest, the flight is probably around 5 or 6 as you are meant to get to the airport 2 hours before a flight normally. If it was much earlier it would make sense to sleep in transit but if she waits for the flight that could really mess up her sleeping!

6. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Wah! It's not a holiday, it's for work. The flight is only an hour or so, so not much chance of catching any zzzzs.
    And I'm on a training course from 10.00 till 17.00.
    Kill me now.[​IMG]

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

We're night owls too and I'm always late finishing the packing so I rarely get much sleep before an early getaway. We just make sure we have an nap when we get there and we're fine after that.

8. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Oops, just saw that it was work not holiday - no chance of a nap then! [​IMG]

9. Is it THAT important that you sleep before the flight - I think that by adopting your punitive regime of early nights and early getups for so much time before the trip you will be sure to be exhausted and out of sorts on thr trip and also whle packing etc.
    I would stay up very late the night before, so that I was ready for an earlyish bedtime on the night of the flight, say, 8pm. Then you can have about 7 hours of sleep before the flight, even if you onyl nod off at 9 or 9,30 it won't kill you to be on 6 hours ish on the trip.
    Would be my approach...

10. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

It takes a fortnight to adjust your body clock, so it's a bit late really!

11. anon468

anon468 New commenter

That's me fooked then! [​IMG]

12. I love night flights too! Haven't been on any really early ones for years though-when I was growing up, there was nothing more exciting than my mum coming to wake me up at 2:30 am to get ready for the taxi to the airport!

13. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I was thinking of trying this approach, but I'm a bit scared in case it backfires on me!
    I reckon I'd be okay on 6 hours sleep.

14. My advice is:
    don't start the routine you describe - why let this flight dictate your life for the next week or so?
    get a good night's sleep on the night before 'the night'
    get as much ready/organised as you can the night before, inc a checklist
    go to bed the night before at about 9 or 10pm, set alarm for 3am
    as a one-off you'll cope okay - adrenalin will kick in if needed
    relax when you get back
    We had a very similar start for a flight a couple of weeks ago and though we were expecting to be very tired we felt okay really.
    Good luck, have a god trip!

15. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

just take the hit, anything else will mess about with your sleeping pattern.

1 bad night wont kill you off.
    Danger of doing anything like this is that your body wont let you sleep (as psychologically you know you have to get up...think 1st Sunday night when going back to work.) so you will have 2 days with **** sleep, rather that just a one off.

16. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

I would not change my sleep pattern for days beforehand. I would just go to bed earlier than usual and get up as required by flight time. You probably will be very tired once you get home but it's a bit like having less sleep one night because of not feeling well or not being able to sleep but still manage to get through a working day. You just collapse once you get home but you manage it ok while doing it!

17. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Thanks for all the advice and good wishes, folks. It's good to hear that it's doable and others have survived simliar!
    I'm uber nervous as it's my first proper day in new job and I'm terrified of nodding off mid-afternoon and looking bad. Am training all week, so I need to be really switched on.

18. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

The adrenaline will probably keep you going! You'll be just fine.

19. vannie

vannie Lead commenter

Aww Manny, i'm a night owl too.
    I would probably try to have a couple of early(ish) nights before hand so I didn't feel too tired and then on the day maybe go up a bit earlier, get up really early and expect to feel a bit ropey later on.
    If it's an important meeting it's likely that the adrenaline will make sure you don't feel sleepy during the day.
    Do you have to stay late or be up early the following day?
    That would be a killer!
    Tis exciting though - bet you enjoy the change!

20. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Thanks to all the lovely people who offered advice and kind words last week. I survived!!
    I was out of my bed like a shot at 2.30 a.m. and in the car driving to the airport by 3.30. The adrenaline definitely kept me going throught the day, but after a while it started to feel like I was having an out of body experience. Really wouldn't want to do it again!
    Haven't really have a chance to catch up on my sleep yet as course was very intense and there were late nights and early starts aplenty, so it feels very much as though I have jet lag. Hoping to feel a bit more normal tomorrow. [​IMG]
    Thanks again, lovely TES peeps.