1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HOw would you manage 31 children in a reception class with one teacher

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by caramel, Apr 13, 2011.

1. I will be having an extra child starting after easter which will take me to 31 children. There is myself and two teaching assistants in the class but sometimes I do whole class teaching without their input. (They may be out of the classroom doing learning journals or similar) Please can you tell me if I can teach whole class or if I should organise it in some other way. I may be worrying about nothing but Ofsted are about to visit and I want to get this right. Any advice would be greatfully received.

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Last year I had 32 for a term with one TA. I worked with half and the TA had half using continuous provision. The TA was never out doing Learning Journals as we don't do them.

3. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

I agree with Inky ,I wouldn't have the TA out of the room .(Could you do the learning journals with the children?|)

4. Well this must vary between local authorities then as this is how I understand it to work in my area. Schools get round this rule in all sorts of ways!

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

No it doesn't vary between local authorities as the law is very clear. Some schools may be "<strike>getting around the rule"</strike> breaking the law!
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/1973/introduction/made
    These Regulations apply in relation to any school in England which contains an infant class.
    Limit on infant class sizes3.&mdash;(1) This regulation has effect for limiting class sizes for infant classes at schools in England for the purposes of section 1 of the 1998 Act.(2) No infant class at such a school shall contain more than 30 pupils while an ordinary teaching session is conducted by a single qualified teacher.(3) Where an ordinary teaching session in the case of any such class is conducted by more than one qualified teacher, paragraph (2) shall be taken to prohibit the class from containing more than 30 pupils for every one of those teachers.(4) Where an infant class at such a school contains any excepted pupil (as defined by regulation 4), paragraph (2) or (3) shall apply as if he were not included in the class.(5) Any limit imposed by this regulation shall apply in relation to the 2001&ndash;2002 school year and any subsequent year.(6) References in the 1998 Act to any limit imposed under section 1 of that Act shall, in relation to schools in England, be construed in accordance with this regulation.

Excepted pupils4.&mdash;(1) For the purposes of regulation 3, a child to whom any of paragraphs 2 to 7 of the Schedule applies is an excepted pupil in relation to an infant class at a school unless suitable education could be provided for him in another infant class at that school without relevant measures having to be taken.

5.&mdash;(1) This paragraph applies at any time during the admission school year to a child admitted to the school outside a normal admission round&mdash;(a)in relation to whom that school is the only school (apart from any school to which he has been refused admission or from which he has been permanently excluded) which&mdash;(i)is within a reasonable distance from his home, and(ii)provides suitable education; and(b)who did not, at the relevant time, ordinarily reside at a place which was within a reasonable distance from that school.(2) In sub-paragraph (1)(b) &ldquo;the relevant time&rdquo;&mdash;(a)in relation to a child to whom regulation 2(3) applies,
    means the time when the majority of pupils in the age group in which he falls were admitted to the school; and(b)in relation to a child to whom regulation 2(4) applies, means the time referred to in sub-paragraph (c) of that paragraph.6. This paragraph applies to a child&mdash;(a)who is a registered pupil at a special school, and(b)who, by arrangement with another school which is not special school, receives part of his education at the other school,

6. I dont have any desire to read laws, I'm going on what I know to happen/has happened in the past. Equally I have no desire to be on the SLT and have to worry about these things I am just speaking from personal experience!

7. Msz

Perhaps you should already be aware of it and then schools wouldn't be breaking it [​IMG]

8. I am aware of the Key Stage 1 class size initiative but I am equally aware that a friend in another school teaches with one other teacher in a year group of 65. To get around this there is a third register and some days a third teacher but at least 50% of the time it is the 2 teachers and TAs. I am fully aware of the rules but I am well aware that I have little to no control over them!
    Please don't imply that I don't know what I'm talking about!!

9. Msz

The EYFS does not place ratio and qualification requirements on reception classes in maintained schools provided they fall within the legal definition of an infant class (i.e. a class containing pupils, the majority of whom will reach the age of five, six, or seven during the course of the school year). Such classes are already subject to infant class size legislation which requires that an infant class must not contain more than 30 pupils while an ordinary teaching session is conducted by a single 'school teacher' (as defined by section 122 of the Education Act 2002 and the Education (School Teachers' Prescribed Qualifications, etc) Order 2003).
    It doesn't matter if they have a register per child they are breaking the law and yes you do have control over it.

10. But does a class teacher really have any control over it when SMT and Head are adament to make it look as though they aren't breaking the law?

11. Msz

perhaps the reason why EY teachers are so fed up is because they don't question when they are given misinformation? Of course a class teacher has control ... report it to the union /LA /governors/local government omsbudsman ... why should you accept something illegal?

12. because jobs are hard to come by at the moment!

13. I taught a reception class of 30 for a year without any help at all (pre-eyfs of course).

14. Msz

if you accept schools acting illegally then you can't complain about workload ...

teejay I taught reception classes of up to 36 with no TA before the infant class size ruling. The point is would you do it now if the child/children were admitted and weren't legal exceptions?

15. One school I know of had a phonecall from the LEA saying that there were more than 30 children on a register so they needed to sort it out. The school jiggled the register to make it look as though certain children were on another teacher's register. The LEA was aware this had happened because an advisor spent time in the classroom while children including the extras were present.

16. I think I made it sound as if all my T/A's do is the learning journals. This is not the case but sometimes there are moments when I take the whole class on my own, usually on the carpet.
    What I wanted to know was, if I was teaching playing phonic games with the whole class on the IWB for instance and the teaching assistants were off doing something else would I be breaking the law. If they are working with me on the carpet the is that ok then. If I would what can I do about it as although I have voiced my concerns I have to get on with it.

17. Msz

I'm not sure of the situation in Wales but in England a number of LAs have been pulled up for allowing it to happen. I know some LAs now deal with all admissions in an attempt to prevent it.

18. Msz

caramel I would make sure the TAs are in the classroom all the time if Ofsted do arrive.

19. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I agree, this is what we do.

20. alm721

alm721 New commenter

Where it is legal/not legal, surly it is very poor practice to have two ta's out of the classroom, with a class of 30 pupils!