1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How would you introduce Year 2 children to map work?

Discussion in 'Geography' started by Vanadesse, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

In Geography I've decided to look at maps with my Year 2's. I don't want to cover things in huge detail because of their age but I do want to include things such as contour lines as it will be useful for the context that we'll be doing it in. I was just wondering though if anyone has any good suggestions of how best to introduce this? I was thinking maybe give them a map and get them to look at it, try and decide what different parts are/mean and then research bits that they're unsure of but would love some suggestions!

2. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

In Geography I've decided to look at maps with my Year 2's. I don't want to cover things in huge detail because of their age but I do want to include things such as contour lines as it will be useful for the context that we'll be doing it in. I was just wondering though if anyone has any good suggestions of how best to introduce this? I was thinking maybe give them a map and get them to look at it, try and decide what different parts are/mean and then research bits that they're unsure of but would love some suggestions!

3. missgeo

missgeo New commenter

Start by building simple contour models out of cardboard.

4. Is there any way that you could create a map of the schoolyard/a local park with these features and then take kids there and do a "map scavenger hunt"? They can move around the yard and decipher a map's features by comparing what they see to what the map says. You can also give them basic tools like a measuring tape & compass to do this with.

5. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

I've been map in hand with compass for the past month (recce 15 trigs) and have noticed how bad I am at rough sketching a map from real (commercial) maps. What I lack in drawing skills I also lack in grid referencing too, as I seem to be alone in thinking of it as an area (square) from a point at it's bottom left hand corner. There seems to be a fashion of rounding up to pin-point your position.
    It is easy to photograph walks and these can be referred to, with a map, and the fatal incongruity of their marriage explored.

6. I don't understand the rounding up thing. I thought the same as you, unless you're talking about 6 figure grid referencing. What should I know?

7. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

Occassionally seen in text book examples when the the location is just the wrong side of the division, (usually inside grid lines and you had a Romer, albeit) that 0029 is given 003 rather than 002.

8. Ah, now I understand what you're talking about. That makes sense. Thanks.