1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How would you get on with a black and white TV these days?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I think it is the state of TV technology that matters. HD black and white would be okay if the programmes were okay.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

No problem if you only watch Talking Pictures TV :) Although you probably can't get Freeview Channel 81 on old B/W sets that wouldn't work.

How does any old B/W set work any longer as the analogue signal was turned off a few years ago? I suppose if they have Freeview set top box to run the aerial through. They wouldn't all be old valve sets though. I remember you could get small portable B/W sets which had transistors (or whatever they called them) not valves.

Or, perish the thought, they are lying to TV Licensing....

nomad likes this.
  4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Presumably you could make your colour display show a black and white image. Is this a b&w tv? Does potential to show colour even though its not being used count? What if the display is broken and only works in b&w?

It's a hang-over from another era that will fizzle out in time.

I remember when we got a portable b&w when I was a teenager, a second tv! how decadent we were, I was thrilled to be able to watch what I wanted and not what my parents decided on, b&w instead of colour was irrelevant.

Duke of York likes this.
  5. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

Well those 7,161 households better watch out, as the TV licence is now not a TV Licence, but a receiver licence. Years ago, if you had a VCR [for the young ones here, Video Cassette Recorder] and a B/W TV, You had to have a Colour licence, as you could receive colour. It did not matter if you could only watch in black and white. So if you are able to recieve colour, then the colour licence is required. Most of the things I watch are black and white, films mainly. The Longest day, great film, Ealing comedies.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

@captain scarlet of Spectrum watching black and white TV. Teehee.

Truth be told, pretty much everybody watched Captain Scarlet in black and white. It's a good job Captain Black was (coincidentally, of course) the baddie - it would have been very confusing if Captain Grey had been possessed by the Mysterons.

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You mean you can buy colour ones ?

nomad and Duke of York like this.
  8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

How come people with colour TVs never got a refund when the BBC screened Raging Bull? I might watch more Art House movies if I got a refund for every one.

I ought to get a refund too, if I listen to R4 or the World Service on long wave.

9. Ellakits

Ellakits Lead commenter

Some years ago my tv suddenly went green. It was most off-putting. At least the old b&w sets couldn’t turn a colour which made you feel sea sick!

10. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

"The young ones here"...now I call that a pretty bold assumption.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Tomorrow's World did an experiment where they displayed apparent colour on a black and white set using (I think) Fechner and/or Benham illusion techniques. I remember them doing it.

nomad likes this.
  12. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I really have to wonder about this one.

It is certainly possible to have an old black and white set display Freeview, you would need a Freeview box and a modulator to simulate the UHF analogue signal. The main thing with these old sets though is that they were very fuzzy even with a decent signal, plus B&W picture tubes weren't made in very large sizes. 21" was about the limit.

13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

"... and for those of you watching in black and white, the pink [snooker ball] is next to the green."

nomad likes this.