1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How would you feel being videoed teaching?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TEA2111, Feb 28, 2016.

1. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

According to Mary Myatt, , the future of lesson observations will be through the power of videoing. Would you prefer this to being observed in the classroom?

2. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

I'm barely half way through my list of jobs for today so didn't watch the whole video. Doubtful I'd have the time to watch back a lesson I taught. Would much rather the ten minute feedback summary. Unless I wanted to contest the outcome, of course ;)

pollymartin and riimah like this.
  3. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

At my last school we occasionally did use video to look at our lessons.

Had a go-pro type camera above the white-board but, and this is important, we kept the memory card and we just watched it ourselves.

Once you've got used to the sound of your own voice (!!) then it is quite a useful tool. I found I tended to avoid certain parts of the room and kept saying 'OK'!!!

A worthwhile experience but not for others to see (unless you really want them to)

omannay, Anonymity, delnon and 2 others like this.
  4. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

A video camera would be easier to ignore than an observer, I think.

What are the safeguarding implications of videoing a lesson?

Some schools ask for a video before interview, I always wonder what that means for the children involved.

pollymartin likes this.
  5. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

At my last two schools we used to video lessons and put them on the intranet as a resource for all members of the staff to use for CPD.

We were able to post examples of teachers demonstrating a particular skill well, such as questioning or group work or, if there was a whole-school initiative, examples of how it might work or be adapted in various different contexts.

Staff could access it themselves for their own CPD. If a teacher needed support with a partiucular aspect of their teaching, they could search for lessons in which their area for development was demonstrated and view a variety of approaches. They could approach whichever member of staff they thought would be most helpful and ask for additional assistance e.g. with planning, or paired observation, or coaching - whatever was required.

It was a useful strategy because it gave staff options for managing their own development, rather than have it micro-managed by a member of SLT.

dljames2013, delnon and TEA2111 like this.
  6. Landofla

Sounds like a very supportive school @GLsghost makes it easy to understand the benefits when you share your example.

I wish I had met more teachers who felt confident enough to share their strengths this way.

7. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

In each case we started from scratch with a particular initiative and filmed short examples of that with a few volunteer members of staff.

We used it as a discussion activity in staff training and then it grew from there. In each case staff were receptive to the idea that this could be expanded (and I think in both cases that suggestion came from them). It became a source of competitive pride for teachers to have their lessons added to the intranet and be tagged for being good exemplars of particular skills.

Ahem - I was i/c teaching and learning! ;)

Edited to add that in both cases the schools were large secondaries with media departments and technicians who could film, edit and tag. I am not sure how easily it would work without this support.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  8. Landofla

Sounds idyllic.

Can you share any links on this practice? Research or CPD training in this method? Thanks

9. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I'm afraid I have been out of teaching for the better part of a decade now.

This was something we devised for ourselves from scratch and built slowly into a resource. We were in SM though so had lots of input from all over the place. I have a feeling the original idea arose from one of those 'what if?' conversations!

10. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I am just remembering that we built it onto the framework of the Pedagogy and Practice pack. This was I think a secondary initiative - I don't think it existed in primary, though I may be wrong.

There were I think 20 different units (the original box set!) with accompanying CDs and we built our video database onto that foundation.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    Landofla likes this.
  11. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

I think we're starting something like this at my school in the next few months. The idea is that we video ourselves teaching and have a focus on specific aspects (eg: starts of lessons, questioning, etc.) and can share it with others.

I think i'm fine with it so long as it's on the basis that others here have stated - that I'm in control of what and when I film, and whether to share it with others.

pollymartin, TEA2111 and Landofla like this.
  12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

As ever, it's not quite that simple. It would depend on what purpose of the videoing was. It is very difficult to observe learning, and we already know that what we think is good or outstanding, quite likely isn't. It may be that our perception of what is good teaching isn't borne out by the subsequent learning gains we anticipate it would show. It may be that most learning is going on when people are thinking "hard", and that might not look like much on a video for example. So to judge quality of teaching as evidenced by learning gains, it would probably struggle just as much as other routine bog standard observation does

However, it could be very useful for things such as classroom management, dealing with minor behaviour issues, seeing how other teachers model explanations, or simply how they use the space in the classroom etc.

There is further discussion on Mary Myatt's blog (part 3) on videos for observation and some interesting comments below it.

http://marymyatt.com/blog/2014-01-24/beyond-lesson-observation-grades

pollymartin and TEA2111 like this.
  13. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

It really does depend on what happens to the recording! - I'm fine with the idea if I can look at it, discuss with others (if I want to) and delete it when I'm done. I've found being videoed very helpful in other walks of life to improve presentation skills.

The problem is that in today's climate of performance related pay, classroom performance is a high stakes conversation, not a mutual self-improvement thing. Classroom observation is therefore a hurdle to be jumped ONCE, box ticked and on with the teaching year. I do NOT want any recording to be kept in some electronic vault for reference back at any future time someone feels like picking holes in my practice as a precursor to a discussion about reducing pay, nor do I want a continuous spy in the classroom whose results can be viewed at any time with a similar follow-up - continuous "drop-ins" anyone?.

pollymartin, Landofla and TEA2111 like this.
  14. coppull

coppull New commenter

Strange there are never any videos set up in the offices of the HT and SMT ,when they bully staff. Wonder why not ?

15. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

It would depend on which way the camera was facing.

16. Futureleader

Futureleader Occasional commenter

It is fine between 2 consenting adults and provided that the content is not distributed. We all welcome the chance to improve and videoing allows you to see the "Ticks" you have or those annoying habits. I am experienced enough to be able to judge my own lesson and the video camera enables me to do this from a more objective viewpoint. It is important that for CP that the contents are not distributed and remain within a framework of trust. Does the school have a policy for this? I think there should be clear policies for the use of video cameras in school. (I hate seeing myself on video - so it is a real dose of humility to see myself. I am my own worse critic so would need to be in an ok mood before viewing the tape!!

TEA2111 likes this.
  17. Rayndrops

Rayndrops New commenter

We have videoing for a couple of years in our school. We were all a bit dubious at first but after assurances from management that we are in complete control of what we film it's turned out to be very useful.
    We usually go in with a specific focus- questioning, modelling, classroom management etc. From this I am able to decide for myself what I need to do to improve my lessons. I also discovered that I have some very annoying habits.
    What has made this a positive experience is the fact that we are the only who are allowed to watch our own videos. I decide which lesson I wish to video, how long for and after I've watched it, I delete it.

I would however hate for this to become a replacement for observations.

TEA2111 likes this.
  18. congenialAnimal1

congenialAnimal1 New commenter

We have just introduced IRIS (I keep wanting to call it ISIS) in our school. I've been using it on and off for a while and found it helpful. The kids are initially a bit fussy but soon settle and pretty much forget it is there.

I used it during my last performance management obs. It was helpful to be able to relate the feedback to what was in the video. It was also helpful to challenge one inaccuracy in the feedback! As a replacement for observation? I guess there are arguments both ways. It really is going to depend on the school environment. If it is a supportive 'growth mindset' school then it is likely to be great. In an ENRON style school .... (guess what I've been reading lately). ;-)

TEA2111 likes this.
  19. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Presumably - as part of child protection - all the faces of pupils would be pixelated?

20. Lillymagictrick

Lillymagictrick New commenter

If I have to be honest I would not be happy about this. I know the Senior Leadership in my school.
    With an excuse or another, they would force us to watch our video with them, to proceed then to give us patronising, absurd and rude "advices" about how to teach.
    So, I would be happy to do it, just in a different school, where teachers are valued and not constantly demeaned.