1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How would you feel about this?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by dav1970, Jul 13, 2011.

1. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

So I was looking forward to my entitled 3 lessons of PPA today, my final one as an NQT which I had put aside for final marking and assessment. When the person who usually covers me popped into my class in the morning, I asked if he was in at 11.30am only to be told from him that he couldn't as he had been asked to go elsewhere. (Not one person had informed me).
    Then at lunchtime, I was told just as I was about to lock myself away to do my work that I wasn't having any PPA as the person covering me was now needed elsewhere. Oh, and that none of us are really having PPA as it is a 3 day week next week. And I know that other teachers have had theirs. Hmmm.
    I'm not massively bothered about it all as I'm leaving to go to another school. However, what gets to me is the underhand way these things are treat as well as the complete lack of respect. If this had been an experienced teacher, would that way of communicating have happened?
    Thanks
    D

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL Very possibly yes!

I had a child I don't usually teach this afternoon with very significant SEN, including toilet needs. An HLTA came to me at 1pm (lunch finishes at 1.10pm) to let me know there was no TA available for him this afternoon. I gulped and said fine, (what else can you say?) .

It is life! Don't feel you are treated worse because you are an NQT, you probably aren't.

3. Communication in some schools is dire - I know at my current school I have often found out about things after the event or just before I should be doing it as changes are made and not communicated effectively. All I get told is 'all schools are like this', well actually, not they aren;t. I have worked in other schools where communication is much better but hey ho :)

4. I had a class of Year 9 with 13 of them on the SEN register. During exams, my TA was pulled to be an invigilator and I wasn't told about it either! They just didn't turn up.

5. A very similar thing has happened to me. My PPA and NQT time were covered by a supply teacher, let's call her Mrs X, and I was merrily eating my lunch in the staff room 2 weeks ago when I overheard someone talking about how it was Mrs X's last day tomorrow...
    So basically when my PPA came around the following week no-one turned up to cover me! I asked my mentor about it and her reply was 'well lots of peple are missing PPA...' The upshot is I haven't had any PPA or NQT time for the last 3 weeks of term, and to be honest I've struggled without it.
    I too am leaving at the end of term so I've not bothered rocking the boat and complaining. But just like the OP what has really annoyed me was how no-one bothered coming to tell me about it, I was just left to find out on the grape vine.
    Hopefully it'll be better at my new school! [​IMG]

6. goatherd

goatherd New commenter

At the school I was at, I regularly had pupils turning up who weren't on my class list, or conversely not turning up, as the sets had changed - and nobody had mentioned it to me. Happened about 15 times (admittedly I taught 17 of the 24 KS3 science classes)

7. Have you finished your NQT induction yet or do you still have a term or more to go?

Our TA's didn't find out whih classes they were in for next year until transition day for the kids. That's how poor communication in our school is. TA's keep getting pulled out to cover other classes but sometimes its such short notice that they don't find out in time. Then they're told it's their fault for not checking the bulletin. Usually it's been added to the bulletin after the event has taken place just so they can b told it's their fault.