1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How would you explain AV / voting to Year 5's?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Fur, May 4, 2011.

1. Fur

Fur New commenter

My Year 5 class are extremely curious and asked me today about the elections tomorrow, why we were voting and why voting was necessary.
    Does anyone know where I can get any resources to support a discussion on this?

I've looked but can only see resources aimed at KS3.

Thanks

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Tell them everyone with a brain will vote no, and those without could go either way. Also that the truly stupid won't vote at all!

Naaaa that might be a bit bad...

Voting is necessary in order to give a voice to the people. I assume they vote for a school council? Ask how they would feel if the rep was just chosen without a vote.

We are voting in the first referendum for year and years because it is an issue that affect he people and so the government didn't feel they could decide themselves. They do decide themselves on most issues and rightly so as it is why we elect them. But occasionally they want 'the people' to make the decision.

If you want to start explaining AV and first past the post, then do so. But I reckon after a good discussion and what is voting, why and how we have it (extend to general elections) then they'll be done.

3. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

It's a bit like the X-factor...

4. I don't even know quite where to start with that one...
    Confucius said that a good teacher doesn't influence the opinions of students - given his general ethos, I think he meant that one should equip them to reach conclusions of their own. That's education - what you propose there is indoctrination.
    Now to the original question - hold a mock election! Simples.

5. The bbc news did a really good explaination with crisps . . . http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12931424 maybe you could try something similar ?
    Lazy Daisy

6. That video clip is great. I live in the UAE where we don't vote for who is in the government so we look at voting through class council representatives in school etc. After the SATS may use this clip as a discussion point for ways of voting that could work.#
    Thank you!
    Liz