1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How would you design the job/ teaching timetable if you could?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by victoria_koo, Mar 11, 2017.

1. victoria_koo

victoria_koo New commenter

Dear all,
    I am a final year MA student from the Royal college of Art working on a service design project on secondary school teacher retention. My aim is to slow down the rate of exit by looking at how teachers are supported in their personal and professional development through job re-design.

I will be running a creative workshop to gather teachers' ideas around what a desirable teaching job would look like if they could design it. As well as explore ways to come up with ideal career pathway for teachers.

I would like to invite current, ex, potential teachers to this upcoming creative workshop for teachers.
    https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/seco...signing-your-ideal-career-tickets-32638374256

Please kindly pass this along to teachers and friends whom might be interested.
    Feel free to contact me if any queries.

Thank you.

Victoria
    07548610280/ victoria.koo@network.rca.ac.uk

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Personally I'd like a timetable with no lessons on it.

As for a career pathway - these days the best ones are those that avoid teaching altogether.

You should have done this ten years ago.

sabrinakat likes this.
  3. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

One with no assemblies on it would be lovely, plus time to actually chat with my ta. So I guess paying the tas to start half an hour before I open my classroom doors would be lovely! Aside from that I am quite lucky in EYFS as aside from assemblies (which just go over the heads of my littlies) and our PE slot I am free to reach what i want when I want to.

4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

My deputy head arranged a lovely timetable for me - out of a 2-week, 6 period day, I have a free almost every day (independent school); with long-term planning over holidays, it means that I mainly get all day-to-day marking/planning done at school - ideal for a good work/life balance with a lively five year old :)

(It wasn't personal per se but still am grateful!)

5. primenumbers

primenumbers New commenter

Shorter lessons,40-45 mins work best
    no form time and assemblies. it is such a waste of time
    1 periods a week for form and assemblies
    Less whole school staff meeting. More department time.
    Less T&L rubbish, more time to study the actual subject you are teaching. I have enough of some art and pe teachers tell me how to teach my subject.

6. wanet

wanet Star commenter

not for all subjects!

7. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

I prefer 1hr 20min lessons. More substantial. I'd hate to spend that amount of time with Y7 though, haha.

I want more PPA time, so I don't have to work 70 hour weeks.

I want a couple of hours a week that I can spend as I like on professional development (such as using the time to complete an MA in my subject).

I hate tutor time - they should have PHSE with their year head once a week/fortnight instead, LOLS.

'ideal career pathway for teachers' - what's that then? We're all different, and we don't all want a career path. I have no interest whatsoever in SLT, or HoD. Don't want to be year head. Don't want to be pastoral leader. Don't want to be SENCO. Would like KS leader in my subject one day, but that's it (I'm lazy, and proud of it).

8. primenumbers

primenumbers New commenter

Then you schedule a double for things such as PE and other practical subjects. Another poster mentioned 1hr20m lessons which is a double if normal lessons are 40 mins.