1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How would you define workplace bullying?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by frannysing, Apr 3, 2012.

1. There are so many threads on here about bullies and bulliyng in the workplace but I haven't come across one yet that defines what a workplace is and what actions define them as such. Is the word being overused?
    So, how would you define a workplace bully?

2. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

http://www.bullyonline.org/workbully/bully.htm

3. Surely a workplace is where someone works, ie a school in most cases for posters on here? I can't understand why you need a definition as it seems obvious to me, or am I misunderstanding your question?
    There have been lots of threads on this forum where bullying has been discussed. There have also been links to various web sites concerned about workplace (and other situations) bullying.
    edit: ( and another reply put up while I was writing my reply!)

4. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

5. Rather thinking your definition of workplace was unnecessary. I think you've definitely misunderstood the question. Not to worry some others have posted links to explanatory sites. Cheers.

6. This is going to open up a semantic can of worms. However .... the (ill-fated) Dignity at Work bill proposed by Baroness Gibson stated that bullying (note it's defining the act of bullying, not "a bully") represents any act that causes alarm or distress, and which may include, but not be limited to behaviour that is offensive, insulting, intimidating, abusive or malicious; unjustified criticism on more than one occasion; punishments without reasonable justification; and changes to responsibilities and duties without reasonable justification to the detriment of the employee. Acas defines bullying and harassment as any unwanted behaviour that makes someone feel intimidated, degraded, humiliated or offended.
    The European concord states that "harassment occurs when someone is repeatedly and deliberately abused, threatened and/or humiliated in circumstances relating to work"
    These collectively reflect very similar laws in Sweden, where workplace bullying is a specific criminal offence, as well as legislation in Canada, South Africa and some Australian states.

7. I defined it because you originally wrote:

8. I would dearly love to think that the word was overused, sadly I believe it is not.

9. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I managed a hospital ward as a nurse before entering teaching and I can honestly say that I have never encountered as much workplace bullying as I saw during my PGCE placements and now in my NQT post. My belief is that a lot of it comes from the fact that many teachers are so stressed and at breaking point. Teachers who have been in the profession a long time have spent so long talking to unruly students in a particular way, that they forget that they need to have a different tone with their colleagues. I have been fortunate not to feel bullied by any of my colleagues, although more than anything I would say I feel neglected as I hardly have any contact with anyone when I desperately need support as a NQT. I do, however, feel bullied by some of my Year 10 female students because they call me fat to my face (even though I am not fat), they have spread all sorts of rumours about me and have tried everything they can to intimidate me during lessons. In my opinion that is bullying but my school aren't interested, hence why I am leaving 30 April.

10. I'm really sorry to hear that Georgia. It does take a thick skin to be a secondary school teacher. Working in an SEN/EBD setting I am all too familiar with the vitriol of Year 10 girls. I hope you are moving on to a school where you will be better supported and happier.

11. Everyone else managed to read the sentence: 'but I haven't come across one yet that defines what a workplace is..' and insert the word 'bully' where I had accidentally omitted it. I have also received some really helpful replies to my original post. You've now commented on a simple mistake twice. It seems ironic, don't you think, that you'd be so antagonistic on a thread about bullying.

12. I did not realise you had made a mistake, I read your comment for what it said, I wasn't being nasty or antagonistic (unlike you are being to me), so please don't make assumptions. I merely replied again to you to explain why I had defined what a 'workplace' is and wasn't rubbing in your mistake you have now enlightened me to. I had actually said "unless I am misunderstanding your question?" in my first reply.

13. Flapwell

Flapwell New commenter

Define forum and bullying.