1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How would you deal with SEN and disability in the classroom?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 4m4xx, Feb 16, 2016.

1. 4m4xx

4m4xx New commenter

For a primary PGCE interview, is this asking for a specific, detailed answer or for something more broad?
    Any advice as to how I would deal with disability in the classroom, or at least where I can get more guidance around this?

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I think it is asking what YOU would do.
    So imagine you have a child in your year 6 class who cannot yet even write his name...what will you do in English lessons?
    Imagine you have a child who cannot walk, what will you do for them in PE? Fire drills?
    A child with emotional or behaviour difficulties?

Think, use your common sense and remember what your best teachers did, that's all they want to know. This isn't a factual answer (unlike your safeguarding one) but one dependent on you and your beliefs about children and learning. Go with what your gut tells you.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. 4m4xx

4m4xx New commenter

Thank you. I appreciate your reply.

4. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

I don't mean to sound inflammatory but surely you should be researching this yourself or at least drawing on your experience so far.

If you're going to be a teacher, you will need to learn to think for yourself or at least be resourceful enough to find the information.

If you can't do that, you shouldn't be in the profession.

5. 4m4xx

4m4xx New commenter

I am researching this myself, my first initiative wasn't to jump on TES and start a thread but I was genuinely interested to know what others thought. I didn't encounter disability in the classroom during my experience nor do I recall such during my own experience as a pupil

I believe that you LEARN how to be a good teacher as well as having existing qualities that would assist you. To tell me I shouldn't be in this profession is harsh. I'm sure a lot of people in this community don't know everything there is you need to know.

6. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

I didn't say you shouldn't be in the profession, obviously I don't know you. I said if you can't think for yourself you shouldn't be in it. Believe it or not, it is good advice. This profession demands a lot of on the spot thinking and resourcefulness. If they ask you this question in your interview they'll want your answer not someone else's. Go with your own instinct.

I'm not trying to be harsh, I do want to help. But you really do have to try and form your own viewpoint from experiences or things already available from government guidance.

7. 4m4xx

4m4xx New commenter

Thank you. Thanks for your advice, honestly.
    Haven't had a look at government guidance yet but from what I observed during my experience in school, for SEN students there were often different worksheets. for instance, there were different worksheets to match different abilities e.g. in a science lesson, a work sheet for 'the life cycle of an amphibian' there were some worksheets which were completely plain for the better ability students and for those who were lower ability, they had worksheets that had pictures and labels on which were to make them more easier and less difficult. but also required less of their time to complete.

and I guess, clear rules in the classroom and reminders for those who may struggle with maintaining proper classroom behaviour.
    This is just what I have thought off the top of my head while looking at the question.
    what do you think?

8. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Disability is such a general term but it does give the impression that it is something which will impact on the student long term as opposed to a difficulty which may be more easily addressed. I think that you have already observed how some students are accommodated from your previous practice so consider the rationale behind this - more visuals, writing frames, extra time, attention to font and lay out ( of the death by worksheet scenario ! ).Consider in this how important it is to encourage lower attainers ( NB not all SEND students are in this category- research high achieving children with ASC and SpLD ) to show what they know as self esteem and confidence are key to successful learning. So getting children to record their responses to the curriculum (so you can assess their progress ) in a variety of ways is key - look at differentiation. There should be a BFL policy in situ but other specific strategies at your disposal to aid those with ADHD for example- seating arrangements, keeping instructions short and direct, cueing..... I have a presentation I can send which may help if you want to PM me your contact details.

4m4xx likes this.
  9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Lovely phrase...going to nick it myself next time I need to describe such children.

Notice how much you already know when challenged by various posters to really think...you will be fine, trust yourself.

4m4xx likes this.
  10. blueskies31

blueskies31 Occasional commenter

What you would need to know before being able to 'deal' appropriately ( I prefer to think about appropriate provision) with pupils with SEN and Disabilities are what are the barriers to learning for that child? Only then can you start to plan for removing those barriers.

4m4xx likes this.
  11. 4m4xx

4m4xx New commenter

Thank you so much! Im grateful for all the help.

12. 4m4xx

4m4xx New commenter

Yes I agree. Thank you. I suppose I was just wondering how detailed of an answer they'd expect.

13. 4m4xx

4m4xx New commenter

Thank you for taking your time out to reply. That would be great! Thank you

14. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Welcome - but you need to pm me / conversation me with an email add. Cheers