1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How would you break down a 30 min (interview) lesson

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by teacheryr2, May 22, 2012.

1. teacheryr2

teacheryr2 New commenter

Hi! You shouldn't keep them on the carpet for longer then 10mins as the children's concentration span is not that long. I would advise you to first introduce yourself to the class, ask them how they think they should behave on the carpet.Make it clear that you will be looking for good sitting, good looking and good listening (do the actions do go with each one).Tell the children what they are going to be learning about (learning intention-using child friendly language.) Read them the poem (making sure you use expression and interact with the children when possible) ask them if they liked the poem thumbs up/thumbs down (children's self assessment) ask a few of the children to explain their reasons (even my nursery class can do that so don't worry). Explain what they are going to do for their activity modelling an example of how you want them to do it. Make sure everyone knows what they are doing before they leave the carpet.Praise the children if they have sat nicely to reinforce the rules.Send them to the activity (not all at the same time so that there is a nice transition).Make sure the children know what they can do if they are stuck (ask a friend to help or put their hand up.)
    Activity time should be around 10-15mins.Make sure you are walking around all the tables seeing how they are doing don't just sit with a focus group.Make observations of individual children while you are walking around note down the names of the children you are observing.The people or person observing you will want to see that you are using a form of assessment post it notes are a good form of assessment in early years.
    Then do a plenary to round up the lesson this should take aprox 5-10mins, try to keep it short and sweet.Ask the children to share with their friends (tell the class) what they have learnt.You could then either do two stars and a wish (other children talk about the child's work being shown 2stars- 2 different children saying something they liked about the piece of work and a wish- another child saying something the child could improve on (how could you help your friend make their work even better for next time-what would you change?). Or you could ask the children to self assess for example have three cubes in front of each child (traffic lights) ask the children to choose the colour to show how they feel about their work red-too hard orange-just right or green-too easy.You could then ask them to draw a circle of that colour on their work (optional). You could also use this method while the children are doing the activity so that you can pin point who needs help and who needs pushing.Another option for the plenary could be to ask the children to act out the poem. This will give you an indication into their understanding of the poem.
    These are only ideas you might not like the sound of them.For your lesson plan make sure you have a learning intention and a success criteria which you might choose to share with the children before they go to their activity ex: I can talk about what I liked about the poem. Also make sure you refer to which learning goal/goals the lesson is relevant to.State which area of learning it is relevant to.Think about differentiation using a range of questions and resources.Possibly using ICT which they might be looking for. You could look for images related to the poem or use the Interactive whiteboard to display their ideas if there is one.Also in your lesson plan address provision for children who may have special educational needs ex: tactile resources, visually stimulating and engaging resources and for children who's first language might not be english for ex:use lots of visual aids and actions.
    Be confident and use lots of positive praise throughout the lesson you might also decide to give the children stickers for working hard.I hope you have found this helpful.Good luck!

2. thank you so much, that was what my instinct was telling me. I was just cautious of fitting everything into 30 mins.
    I always end up over-planning when observed, so will try and keep things simple.

many thanks!

3. Hi Tamster150,

I am a Supply Teacher in the Early Years. The timetable for Reception is usually adult focus (10 mins) then free flow choosing (45mins) with an activity relating to the adult focus or topic (I know you have 30 mins). In my experience within the Early Years there has never been a plenary as such as its very difficult to gather the children again on the carpet or draw all their attention to you as there all doing different activities. You could gather them again after tidy up time making there learning time very short and within your 30mins and discuss their learning, getting them to talk out what they've been doing under a title of 'My learning', with most of the ideas coming from you i.e pointing out that I saw Karl over in the role play area, where you learning about the supermarket?' etc, then getting Karl to write supermarket on the IWB.

In my experience Reception children find this very difficult as they (sometimes) do not understand what learning is and believe they are 'playing' or 'doing'. A lot of work usually needs to worked on in order for them to understand 'learning'.

If you need any more advice, please let me know I am a recent NQT and my main experience is within the sector of the Foundation Stage!

Best of luck!