1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How would you ask about pay at an interview?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by laur13, Nov 13, 2018.

1. laur13

laur13 New commenter

Hi, I have an interview tomorrow - so not sure if I'll get a response on time - but one main thing I wanted to ask about is pay.

However, I have never had to do this before and am unsure how to word it.

I'm a qualified Teacher but have applied for a part time teaching assistant role, the pay is in a certain band but has a range i.e. £8500 - £9000. As I teacher I'd expect to get the higher end of the range, but how do I put that across in an interview?

If you do reply it would be appreciated even if it doesn't help for tomorrow it may help for another interview if I don't get this one.

Thank you

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well in that 'Are there any questions you would like to ask?' section of the interview would be a good place to ask.

You do need to put it positively that you'd like an idea of salary before making a final decision and being unfamiliar with TA rates how does that work? That sounds less as though you're only worried about pay.

The fact that you're a qualified teacher probably won't affect your pay though.

Also ask about pay during the holidays I e is salary paid over 12 months? Also whether that's pro rata ? Basically means the salary sometimes quoted is based on more hours than you can work and therefore the salary works out as much less. :(There used to be an article here on this site about TA pay. And that does sound quite low when I've seen last year average TA salary was something like 12k. Article from 2017 here

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    phlogiston likes this.
  3. laur13

laur13 New commenter

It's a part time job of 20 hours. Thanks for the suggestion, the post does say paid over 39 weeks. I like your suggestion as like you say I'm not sure how ta pay works.
    Thanks

4. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Hope the interview went well. Let us know!

5. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

I simply said when I was interviewed for teaching role I am on UPS 3 and would expect to be paid the same - I was

Lara mfl 05 likes this.