1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How would you answer this question at interview?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Amy12321, Jun 19, 2012.

1. I was trying to post on the interview questions thread but couldn't find a way to reply without quoting someone else! Perhaps someone can help so that I can add my questions.
    I also wanted to ask how you would answer this question: A child comes to school one day and the day is not going well for them and they are feeling sad. How would you deal with this?
    Or, a rephrased version is: A child is experiencing diffculties at home which is impacting upon their behaviour. What would you do?
    I answered question 1 with 'distract them by giving them a special job to do involving their interests like sorting out their favourite toys, involving their friends if possible.'
    I answered the second question with reference to school behavioural policy and helping the child to make more positive behavioural choices.
    I have a feeling that there is a gap in my knowledge about supporting the emotional aspects of learning...would I be right? How would you deal witht hese scenarios?

2. ashleigh0901

ashleigh0901 New commenter

I would answer the first question by speaking to the child one to one, to see if i could get any answers from the child. I would say directly "Are you ok (name) you seem sad today. Would you like to talk about it?" if the child did not then re-assures the child that if they change their mind they can talk to you or any other grown up at school. (time permitting) i would introduce a circle time with whole class or small group time which may open the issue.
    Keeping a note on any change of behaviour incase this continues and develops as a child protection issue.
    Question 2. Again chatting to the child one to one may help, trying to fully understand and accept how the child is feeling. Although challenging behaviour should be acknowleged withi regards to policy etc children react to 'disipline' in many different ways, finding the most effective approach can improve the child's behaviour. (time permitting) work with child one on one to either chat or have a'draw and talk' session, this allows the children to draw whateveer they wish and often allows the child to relax and explain their feelings/behaviour. however details of any sessions must be noted and any disclosures discussed with class teacher and child protection 'person'.
    Hope this helps!

3. Thank you for your reply, I can see how this would be a much better way of ensuring that the child felt safe and supported to "open up" in a caring environment

4. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Can I just add that if the child started to tell you that the reason they were sad or behaving badly led you to believe their might be a child protection issue you have to stop them and inform them that you cannot keep this information a secret because you have to ensure that they are safe. Make notes asap AFTER the meeting and inform the child protection officer immediately. Don't ask any leading questions. Just listen very carefully to what they say.
    It never hurts in an interview to say that you aren't 100% sure but that you would refer to the school's behaviour policy/child protection officer as appropriate. It's important to say that you are willing to learn and hope to gain knowledge in both of these areas if you get the job.

5. Sound advice from dozymare.