1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How would I impress a school on a visit before an interview?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by VCozens, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I graduated from a PGCE Primary this summer, and still do not have a job. I had applied for all of the jobs I could. I visited a few schools before I applied, and also got a few phone calls through the pools for a meeting before interviews. On these visits, I thought that I did pretty well, with good communication, eye contact, 2-way conversation, dressed smartly, arrived early, etc., but never got called back for interview.
    Can anybody make any suggestions as to what makes a good impression, or what Im supposed to say and do to get that vital interview?
    V
    xxx

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

It may not be the case that the visit impacts on the selection. In a number of instances the tour around the school may be palmed off onto whoever is available at the time rather than someone involved fully in the process.. Sometimes the best results from such a visit is what you can pick up about the school and incorporate into your application.
    Do check your application carefully and watch out for grammar spelling errors. Tailor the application to the individual school. You also need to appreciate the likely competition depending on where you are and your phase there are likely to be multiple applicants for posts.

3. Did you speak to any of the children? I was told that was a really important part of the visit. The first couple of schools I visited I was too shy to ask, or didn't want to disrupt the normal school routine and didn't get invited for interview. When I visited the school at which I'm just starting, I did ask and was told by the head when I went for interview that the children had already given positive feedback about me just from that short chat we'd had. Having discussed this with my mentor, she was told that she got the first job she'd had partly because when she visited she got down to the children's level (she's EYFS) and chatted with them; something other candidates didn't do.