1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How would a temporary teaching job affect my 18 month supply limit?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by nikkisab, Nov 10, 2011.

1. It's 16 months and it keeps ticking throughout until you've completed your induction. I'm currently in the process of applying for an extension

2. I thought the 18month limit was going to be extended to 5 years in January?

3. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

The consultation date for responses is the start of Decemeber 2011 and the Dept of Education review panel will consider the responses and pass judgement around February (I think), The proposals if accepted and I think most of them will, would extend the 16-month period to 5 years from Sept 2012.
    However it affects those whose time as expired or is due to expire is open to serious debate and that is why I have submitted additional proposals to to ensure that the above group is not omiited from the review and have asked my union (ATL) to endorse and support my proposals.

4. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

PS. once you do any teaching work in a state funded school (i.e.not private) the clock commences, even if it is just 1 hour. That is why teachers and not the unions have campaigned for reform of the rule for a number of years and the government as finally decided that the 16-month rule, needs to be updated, like the Scots and Welsh did in 2005!

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you haven't done any non-Induction supply teaching yet, you still have the entire 16 month supply allowance and it won't be triggered if you take P/T or F/T temporary teaching that is intended to last for at least a term's length (from any point in a school term until at least the same point in the next school term, based on a 3 term school year).
    Any period of teaching lasting at least a term's length and which requires you to teach a regular timetable for which you also plan and assess MUST be part of Induction.
    If the job then ends before Induction is complete, you are subject to the 16 month rule, which will have carried on ticking whilst you were on a temp contract (if you were doing very short term teaching before the Induction post).
    If you are then not subject to any new 5 year rule (which may end up being 5 years from getting QTS, not 5 years from starting supply work) you would have the option of applying for a possible 12 month extension to the 16 month period (apply via the LA), which is the current system in England.