1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How will the new non eu migrant settlement rule affect schools?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by cararol, Jan 17, 2016.

1. cararol

cararol New commenter

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...on-eu-migrants-as-teachers-face-a6814841.html

As a non-eu migrant myself this rule is concerning. I've only just reached the governments minimum threshold after teaching in England for 10 years. Settlement is usually applied for after 5 years of working with a highly skilled migrant visa at a minimum.
    Indefinite leave to remain (settlement) now has a new steep fee exceeding £2000 too.

With schools having difficulty filling roles as it is this will only increase the strain. I'm sure there are a few teachers around that were planning settlement in the near future based on the old rules that now face deportation when their work visas expire (or many more costly repeat work visas).

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I have signed the petition

HERE

Best wishes

3. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

Signed!

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

5. Sisyphus_rolls_again

Sisyphus_rolls_again Established commenter

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It seems a strange move, but perhaps they don't expect teachers to remain in post for more than 5 years