1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How will sick leave affect me in the future

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by confused2, Oct 19, 2015.

1. confused2

confused2 New commenter

I have been signed off on sick leave by my doctor. I have had problems with bullying from management and I am currently debating my future at the school.

I do not feel it would be a good idea to go back to the school. I have the option to resign by the end of this week, but my union has suggested not to and they will try to get a compromise agreement. However, if I go this route it will mean being signed off work for 9 weeks with stress as then they will negotiate an exit at Christmas and some pay for a couple of months (the payment is not guaranteed).

I am uncomfortable going this route as I have been told that how long you have had sick leave can now be written on your reference.

I don't know which will be worse for getting a new job: resigning at an unusual part of the year or being signed off with stress for 9 weeks.

I am not sure if I did resign if my school would allow me to leave immediately, however, there is another teacher in the school that is being allowed to leave this week.

2. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Take the advice of the union.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh I am really sorry that you are in such a difficult situation!

The very very VERY first thing that you must think about is your health. That's the thing to take care of. Follow your Dr's advice in everything, especially about whether you should go back to school.

Well yes and no.

There is a bit of a conundrum here, as the Equality Act says that you cannot ask about health and absences related to health, yet the The Education (Health Standards) (England) Regulations 2003 require a school to ensure that you are Fit to Teach.

*sigh*

But I don't think that you should worry too much about that. When you apply to another school, you can include a short sentence - I will help you write it - that will pre-empt what the school may say and puts your side of the issue first.

Your side being that you had stress-related absence, but that is now completely cured and you are now better equipped than most to deal with the stresses of the everyday life of a teacher.

Now read this, which is very important for you:

Settlement Agreements

I am pleased to see that you have the support of your union; that is excellent.

Best wishes

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  4. confused2

confused2 New commenter

Thanks for your advice!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, come and post on JobSeekers Forum when you want my help about your application.

Best wishes