1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How widespread is sexism in prep schools?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by silenceapres3, Feb 12, 2017.

1. silenceapres3

silenceapres3 New commenter

I have heard that sexism is rife in prep schools where pay is concerned. Is this true? My school's pay scale is secretive and down to how well individuals negotiate at interview, but perhaps gender also pays a part.

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I actually find the thread somewhat offensive....

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Don't believe everything you hear...

4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

@silenceapres3 I would be surprised if many people knew what their colleagues are earning - unless colleagues choose to disclose this information to each other. Salary is surely determined by the level of responsibility the job carries and the experience and expertise of the individual teacher. What makes you think gender has something to do with individuals' payscale point?

5. silenceapres3

silenceapres3 New commenter

If pay was based purely on qualifications and experience, colleagues would talk about it more openly. Sadly we are in a vulnerable position when negotiating pay in private schools as some people are just better at it than others. In light of this, when a colleague said pay is higher for men in prep schools, I became curious.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Teachers negotiate pay in all schools now.
    There is no national pay scale and schools can pay teachers whatever they think the teacher is worth.
    So presumably, with your logic, men in all schools are paid more?????

People won't talk about pay more openly because it simply isn't polite to do so. People just don't speak of what they earn in polite society. It's nothing to do with vulnerability.

7. devils

devils Occasional commenter

I have heard that people shouldn't start threads with nothing more than 'I have heard' as it tends to reflect very badly on them