1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How were the great pyramids built

Discussion in 'Personal' started by alex_teccy, Feb 19, 2020.

?

How were the great pyramids of Giza built

1. Internal ramps

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. External ramps

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  3. Cranes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Aliens

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

Been reading up on it and watching vids.

The internals ramp hypothesis seems reasonable, but then why was it just used on the great pyrmid? I've not heard of any evidence for khafre's Pyramid, for example...

An external ramp would have had to have been as large as the pyramid itself. In the middle ages the then Sultan of Egypt tried to dismantle the Red Pyramid but gave up because it was too much hassle.
    Perhaps the ramp was increased in pitch as the Pyramid grew taller as smaller blocks were used and the ramp used as rubble.

2. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Latest theory is that the great pyramids were actually built around existing pyramids to make them bigger

If you go down to the pyramid fields, you can see how pyramids developed from the "rubble pyramids" (excavation material were just dumped on top of the underground tomb, to the mastabas, to the Sakara pyramids (smaller mastaba placed on top of each previous mastaba forming a "step" pyramid), then you see where pyramids as we know them started developing (including the "bent" pyramid where they got their angles wrong and had to change quickly in case it collapsed)

There are about 120 pyramids in Egypt but even more in Sudan

lanokia and alex_teccy like this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It's a telling indictment of the teaching profession @alex_teccy that so far (as I post this) 100% of replies to your poll say "Aliens" built them. Is it possible some posters aren't taking this question seriously enough? :(

alex_teccy likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I've read enough to be able to say "I don't know".

Fascinate me all the same.

5. bigfatgit

I think what really amazes people, is just how big the Great Pyramids are

On a good day, I can see them from the roof of my apartment and they are 40km away

JL48, lanokia and alex_teccy like this.
  6. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

if so, why didn't the queens chanmer in the great pyramid collapse under all the new weight, presuming it was built on top on?

7. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

alex_teccy likes this.
  8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I didn't think there was still any doubt about this. The ancients lived on a different time scale to today, it took years for them to be built and with thousands of agricultural workers (not slaves) during the slack time of year.

I visited them about 10-15 years ago with an accredited Egyptian guide who described a system of external ramps that were shifted about according to need. One of the most surprising things (to me) is that a lot of the stone came from the immediate area, blocks were cut from directly in front of the pyramids to build them, as in a few metres away.

Also, the sphinx's nose was smashed off by an angry Egyptian with a sledge hammer standing on the sphinx's head because he didn't like the fact that people were worshipping it - and not one of Napoleon's cannons.

There's an awful lot of misinformation about the ancient monuments.

10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The National Geographic, on the other hand, supports the internal ramp theory:

11. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I seem to remember a theory about a spiral external ramp, so extending around the building as it was built.

12. bigfatgit

No idea, wasn't there! I'm old but not that old

Maybe you could ask the minister of antiquities?

While you're at it, why not ask him why no-one is allowed in the huge underground chamber (chanmer to you) under the Giza Plateau?

alex_teccy likes this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Don't need to.

It contains the knowledge of Atlantis. Can't have that getting out.

Cue people trying to work out if I'm serious or not.

14. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

They did in 2008 yes. They currently think external ramps were used for the bottom of the pyramids but internal ramps for the upper part.

15. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

Aliens. It must be true. I read it in a book when I was 12.

sadscientist and nomad like this.
  16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

A significant amount of the work was probably done by skilled artisans who spent their working lives (not long by our standards) on the project. The image of hordes of slaves dragging the stones whilst being lashed by gangmasters standing over them is somewhat discredited, although one can imagine criminals being put to work in the quarries.

I worked last year with somebody who experiments with various historic methods of dragging large stones about, and it's not as hideously difficult as you might imagine. On Orkney it's though that some of their stones were moved around the landscape on tracks of seaweed. Not an option in Egypt perhaps, but it's amazing how resourceful people can be if it means saving work.

border_walker, nomad and Mangleworzle like this.
  17. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Daltrey and Towshend:

[​IMG]

A great pair o' mods!

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I recall watching a video of people trying to cut the pyramid blocks using bronze tools. Was very difficult.

It got a bit easier when water was used as an assist.

Some of the granite cuts would take modern laser cutting equipment.

19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I lean towards the theory of tamed brontosauruses being used as cranes to lift the stone blocks like in The Flintstones.

JL48, blazer, sadscientist and 4 others like this.
  20. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

It definitely wasn't a man with his Black and Decker!