1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How was your summer?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by miketribe, Aug 23, 2012.

1. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

Much too much driving... Went to a wedding in Preston and drove back through France and then straight on to Andalucia. Have come back to school for a rest!

2. pretty uneventful... gave birth, got sacked, looked for a job, got a job and now packing...

3. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

Came to terms that my school were shafting me with regards payment due for summer as well as coping for the last term with my son suspended due to his SEN!!
    Wrote examinable assignment for M.Ed and posted it a week ahead of schedule and now working against the clock to clean and tidy house, wash, iron and pack clothes before jetting off to new school next week!
    I'm also looking forward to the respite that school will give me - I wonder how long that will last?

4. Hi lovely lady, your story makes me feel a bit better about mine... I didn't get paid for my maternity leave and they managed to sack me for absolutely no valid reason. So no maternity pay, no summer salary and no bonus! I still need to come to terms with it though!

5. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Remember to put holes in the shipping crate for the little one [​IMG]
    My summer was quite uneventful due to the amount of work I had done on my spine, shoulder and shoulderblade
    PS never trust a doctor that says, "This won't hurt"

6. Every kid of mine into uni of first choice. Still trying to find places for kids in sh^t places who I tutor over net. Got one placed well below what uni he should be in - but glad to see tw^t SMT who 'look after him' have got pay rises.

Kicked f&ck out of a dentist.

Two extra holes on belt due to beer and pork pies. Only one publication but another promised.

7. Spent some time in Devon. Weather was wonderful. Played chip and putt golf with my son and my brother-in-law several times. Played footy tennis with the boy every day and got beaten soundly (soundly beaten?). Went out for several carveries, drank about half a dozen different beers, Green King IPA still comes out on top (Landlord and Eagle were pretty fine, too).
    Spent loads of time with my mother, who despite being nearly 90 manages to cross the floor in Boltesque fashion. God love her.
    Only had three or four 'big' days and they were followed by a couple of furry recovery days. Came second in a pub quiz.
    And watched tons of tv.

8. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

We are now four.

9. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Congratulations!!
    Edit: Just realised that it could also mean a reduction in numbers, but hopefully that is not the case...

10. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

It's the first

max5775 likes this.
  11. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Congratulations Perce, mon brave. Et à Mme Perce aussi.
    Mrs M and I are currently playing host to our youngest granddaughter who has just honoured us by taking her first unaided steps across our living room.
    We have celebrated the Summer by staying here down on the farm, where distinguished visitors from Ruritania joined with us to miss the Olympics opening ceremony in favour of alfresco junketings beneath the Andalucían stars. Sin embargo, we did see quite a lot of the competitions, including Murray's truly terrifying marmalizations of Djokovic (who looks uncannily like Peter Barlow in Corrie) and Federer to win the Tennis Gold.

12. And you're not writing from Utah.

13. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

I must be mad but apart from a few very cold days, I love winter and bemoan the coming of the time of great heat and sweatiness. Hockey is over though so i get my Saturday mornings back, counter balanced by the fact that indoor runs through Oct-Dec and then my Friday nights are swallowed up.

14. Mainwaring

I love them both but I wish they could alternate in fortnightly instalments. We have been 'enjoying' 40C plus for the past few weeks, and frying your breakfast egg on the terrace tiles begins to pall after a while.

15. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

I should think so, what with having to keep a vigilant eye on Boris, one sweep of whose tongue could make a 'dog's breakfast' of that particular project.
    Perce, congratulations old sport, you ex-servicemen may have been trained to thin out the human race but you also tend to replenish the stocks vigorously.
    Yaz, after this blazing summer I feel the same way, but it'll be two months before we have to dig out the woollens.
    We returned this morning from 24 hours in an entirely enchanting place just an hour's drive from home. But that is definitely the end, and next week will be terrifying. Why, even the head of a major department who has been absent and incommunicada since June 28th, letting IB and GCSE results and other matters of concern pass on by, even she just may show her face in school some time next week.
    Perhaps she'll have a great summer story to tell - and let's hear more from you-all...
    Paid €5.50 for a Guinness last night. Not be be outdone, Mrs D tucked away an €8 caipirinha.

16. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

I don't know if I would love winter in Europe, but I love it here; exactly my temperature. Got hot one day last week (29 degrees in August for goodness sake) and I could feel the sweat glands cranking up!
    I know exactly what you mean about the instalments! I can deal with the heat for short bursts but it looks like we are going to have an August - May summer this year. Not really fair for us cooler temp lovers!
    Dude, I'm jealous. My aim is to meet the gorgeous Boris one of these days. His owner as well I suppose!

17. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Yikes. Got a feeling someone's in deep cow poo!

18. Mainwaring

Boris's early life in the dog refuge has left something of a moral vacuum when it comes to unattended grub. And with those long legs, even the kitchen worktops are not safe from the tongue.
    Both dogs are bereft now that my granddaughter has returned to Breda. At 15 months she can't quite manage 'Biggles' but: 'Borry, Bobby, Wuff, wuff! Miaow!' delights them while leaving them slightly confused.

19. If you insist...
    July 30th.
    Blacked out due to an ongoing medical condition and 'smashed' my face against a radiator.
    Cut above left eye and lower lip, not to mention my front teeth which gracefully dropped into my left hand.
    Have spent all August at the dentists. Ouch!
    And I'm not exaggerating!
    Talking about Toothless An<strike>ni</strike>e. I'm only thankful that it didn't happen in Sept.
    But July was very, very productive as far as looking for a second residence. I also revisted Voltaire's Candide as well as some other favourite stories. And I joined the TES iboard.Love it!

20. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

notyet, I'm sorry to hear your bad news about the summer, and hope you are feeling better and 'bitier' en cuanto a los dientes.
    It must be even more difficult than usual to take on the Pangloss concept of 'the best of all possible worlds' when you have ongoing business with one of those dentist people.
    Keep posting.