1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How was your NQT year?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by wildeoscar17, Jun 18, 2019.

1. wildeoscar17

wildeoscar17 New commenter

Hi
    Just wanted to hear peoples experiences during their NQT year. Is it true that is one of the hardest teaching years of your life? What did you like most about your NQT year? How was the work-life balance?

2. doteachershavesuperpowers

doteachershavesuperpowers Occasional commenter

Didn't have much of a work-life balance. But it was nice to have my own class as opposed to sharing one during my PGCE. I was told by a former deputy head that the first day of your NQT year is when you really start learning, and she was very right.
    I slept very well that summer holiday.

3. sidekick125

sidekick125 New commenter

I actually found it a lot easier than university. I did a four year teaching degree and felt incredibly prepared for the job. My work load lessened considerably, I didn't need the ridiculous lesson plans with things timed to the minute, I did need to write written reflections on each lesson taught.

Again, even after a four year teaching degree, I did learn a considerable amount in the first year but I did find it a lot easier than placements during university.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I was lucky enough to do my NQT year in the school where I did the GTP, so it was really just an extension of it, and easier than my training year. I think it would have been a lot harder to have to get to know a new school.

5. mrshamone

mrshamone New commenter

My NQT year was not as hard as the PGCE. That remains the hardest I have ever worked. What others have said is quite right, the real learning starts when you are full time and doing everything a teacher is required to do, lesson planning becomes easier and you can develop you behaviour management skills. Remember to keep working hard, and pass the NQT and you’re set.