1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How vile were you to your teachers?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Professor Dumbledore, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Professor Dumbledore

Professor Dumbledore New commenter

Just curious. I'm trying to remember whether we were ever little sh.its at school. I went to a girls' private school, so I'm aware my experiences might be very tame compared to some peoples'.
    I remember in a Science class once encouraging the lovely but doddery 70ish year old male teacher to put increasingly large lumps of potassium into the glass water tank until it shattered. Poor old bloke was mortified.
    That's pretty tame I know, but was funny if you were there. I am a bit more uncomfortable when I think of the way we treated our old music teacher though. She was HOPELESS. Very knowledgeable about her subject, but had no control over us at all. Once she left the room for some reason and we all climbed out the (ground floor) window and went back to the common room. She didn't even come after us or mention it next lesson. She was a nice woman, but even when she tried to raise her voice there would just be a second of surprised silence, then someone would start laughing and the poor woman looked a fool.
    There was also a teacher who, on reflection, MUST have had a medical condition, but she sweated HUGE amounts. We were so awful to her. I remember some pupils coming into the room while she was packing up her stuff from the previous lesson and being really tactless and cruel.
    I don't know why I'm thinking about all this - I suppose I get frustrated at the way the pupils behave in the Primary I work at, but looknig back, we were really unkind as opposed to just "naughty."
    Anyone care to share?

2. I treated my teachers with respect even if they were not very good

I loved school and learning

3. I was always well behaved and polite. My mother was a teacher and being rude to a member of staff just didn't cross my mind, ever.
    I had an Art teacher in Year 9 who looking back was probably an NQT, or a fairly inexperienced teacher anyway. I was in an awful class and a boy punched me across the face for no reason behind a big display. I told her and she asked another student if this had happened and they said it had not. My mum was really angry and wrote a really snooty letter of complaint. I feel sorry for that teacher now as she obviously didn't really know what to do.

4. We were vile when we were in year 10 and 11 at secondary school. Not only to teachers but often to each other. Violent fights were very common on a daily basis.
    The joys of an all girl school!

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

I was well behaved, but I guess I was an arrogant little ..................
    I knew I was clever, I didn't see the point in some of the stuff we had to do, I was bolshie from the age of 14 onwards!

6. Professor Dumbledore

Professor Dumbledore New commenter

This is it though. We were very respectful to most teachers and we were all academic "successes." I genuinely enjoyed my time there, and I would like to think that as we got older we were more respectful. I keep thinking about the ones we were so shi.tty to though.
    Looking back, even though there may have been a few **** trachers, I think the best way to describe us was ***.y sods.

7. I am afraid I was quite boring and treated all teachers with respect, was always polite.
    Which is not to say I was an angel - I just made sure I was never caught and that it didn't reflect badly on the teacher, as that would have made me feel very guilty.
    I do come from a family where many are teachers - so I suspect something was slipped into my nightcap as a child which instilled into me "do what teacher says, or if you don't, make sure he/she doesn't find out".

8. Kids can be cruel...
    We had an English/History teacher who was having some trouble with her eyes - she had to stop wearing contacts and was wearing huge 80s style glasses (it was the 80s though... but they were still huge)... we used to steal the chalk from the board, when she went to get more we'd hide the duster - not steal it... just move it out of obvious sight but still in plain view... and we also turned the world map upside down at the back of the room... that one took her a few days to notice and she was mad....
    Another teacher - Maths - she was truly dreadful... one of the boys literally dived out the window - was a ground floor room but it was still hilarious...
    The Accounting teacher was soooooo boring to listen to... he just droned on and on... one lovely winter's day (it was Oz) the sun was shining and it was gorgeous to sit outside... he asked who had done their homework - he sent the first one out to complete it - the rest of us got the message pretty quickly... by the end of his round of checking he only had three left in the room, the rest of us were out sunning ourselves and copying the answer from the back of the book (even those of us who had done the homework in the first place but chose to go outside and catch some sun)...
    Not sure how I'd respond if any of my lot did this to me today though... interesting ...

9. I have a vague recollection of being involved in winding up a supply teacher when I was in year 5, but can't remember details aside from it being more of a following others thing.
    My Year 9 Physics teacher never used to wear a watch and used to leave us alone in the classroom for 5 or 10 minutes at a time. We had Physics straight before lunch on a Thursday, and Thursday was the day year 9 got to be first in the queue for the dinner hall. One day we decided to put the clock forward 5 minutes to see if he noticed. He didn't, and let us out early. We did the same the next week, and the next week and the next week. Eventually we got so brazen that we put the clock forward by 20 minutes, figuring that he would notice. He didn't and let us out early. We never put it forward that far again, but every few weeks would put it forward by 5 minutes!
    But, I went to a Very Nice Girls' School and would never have dreamed of talking to teachers and acting the way some of my pupils talk and act. We were nice to students and NQTs, mainly because it never occurred to us not to be nice!

10. Thought of another for the English/History teacher - she was a prolific writer - she'd write pages and pages onto the board and wehad to copy it down into our books... every now and again we'd get into the room early and of course the teacher before hadn't cleaned off the board from her lesson (it was another history teacher and lots of notes) so we'd write... PLEASE LEAVE or DO NOT REMOVE.... saved us a lesson of writing... she may have known and enjoyed the lesson off from writing herself... hmmmm

11. I had a Geography teacher like that tafawke! I think I'd have a mutiny on my hands if tried that with any of my classes.

12. I was pretty boring and well-behaved. I have no anecdotes.

Unless quietly mutinous thoughts count?

13. I once threw Sister Moira the Vs, but nobody saw, least of all her.

14. It made no difference what I thought of my teachers. My opinion was of no interest to them. If I voiced it however, and it was in any way negative, I could look forward to a variety of forms of physical pain.
    Discretion became the bette part of valour.

15. I was born too late.

Wish I'd been a teacher back then...

16. Actually, once I was awful.
    My R.E. teacher was a witch (sorry, Mrs. R, but you were!).
    We had those old fashioned blackboards (well, they were green) and those rubber board cleaners...
    She annoyed me so much one day, that I used the chalk on the rubber board cleaner to make patterns on her chair, plus a few handprints and she wandered around the rest of the day totally oblivious to the fact that her trousers had strange chalk patterns on them and my handprints were on her bum.
    She never found out it was me, though [​IMG]

17. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Same here. Again my Mum was a teacher so it would never have occurred to me to deliberately cause trouble.
    I'm not the best at hiding how I feel though so I may have done a bit of eye-rolling at certain points. I did struggle when a biology teacher told me that 1 in 5 was 5% and 1 in 20 was 20%, I think the eye-balls nearly came out of their sockets!

18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

we made sure we didnt get caught as you would be whacked witha cane if they did find out......i never was in primary as we were terriffied of the teachers.
    In secondary i was always in trouble for fighting , but in class i was generally well behaved a i both loved and feared my teachers......although this is not to say i loved al my class mates!

19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

At 11 I was part of a class who probably helped to finish off one young teacher's already struggling career, but to be fair the guy was a complete drip who gave us plenty of opportunity to play him up, and we deserved better.

I drove one of my English teachers to distraction by turning all his set assignments into war stories, but that was my shortcoming, not his.

Later I was part of a class who all failed 'O' Level Chemistry, but in those days it didn't seem to affect the teacher's career prospects. My parents forgave me because they thought the man was an incompetent idiot who was incapable of teaching. He was too busy chasing sixth form girls to prepare decent lessons. He's probably an OFSTED Inspector now.

20. thebigonion

thebigonion New commenter

I was at an all-boys grammar school. We were b*stards in the way that intelligent, belligerent *rseholes can be when they want to be.
    The one very obviously gay teacher was pushed into a nervous breakdown, nitrocellulose (guncotton), nitroglycerine and TNT were all synthesised at various points in the chemistry labs, the slightly deaf metalwork teacher's hearing aids were periodically melted in the forge and our ineffectual music teacher oftentimes found himself presiding over fights involving xylophone beaters.
    Biology lessons often consisted of seeing how hard a piece of animal could be launched at a fellow student. One poor child ended up with a sizeable sliver of sheep's heart in a place he really didn't want it.
    To be fair, not much of it was me. I was much more into mulish non-compliance than active unpleasantness - refused to do work in lesson, wouldn't do homework, would get full marks in tests. That sort of annoying little b*gger that you see from time to time.
    My teachers varied between the psychotically Welsh (PE - rugby coaches to a man) to the unhinged via the uncaring, the ineffectual and the barely living (there was a rumour that our Latin teacher had learned it as his first language, he was so old) and the actively unpleasant.
    I despised the attitude ofthe teachers and the school as an institution towards the kids. I was inspired to become a teacher to be different to them, rather than to be like any of them.