1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How useful is QTS internationally?

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by silverfern, Apr 8, 2011.

1. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

From what I've heard, Australian teachers are very highly regarded on the international teaching circuit.
    There is an option of doing 'QTS exempt from induction'. You can be 'exempt from induction' if you get assessed against the CORE standards instead of the QTS standards (I think they're slightly harder?) in your QTS for OTTP assessment.
    The TDA website http://www.tda.gov.uk/teacher/nqt-induction/faqs.aspx?keywords=ott+induction says:
    If a teacher has trained overseas and has worked as a teacher for several years, are they exempt from induction?

Overseas trained teachers (OTT) who have trained outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) will need to present themselves for assessment against the QTS standards. If an OTT is assessed against the QTS standards, they can simultaneously be assessed (at their request) against the core standards (provided they have at least two years full time teaching experience).
    If they meet the core standards they will be exempt from having to do an induction support programme. Induction is statutory for OTTs who trained overseas but subsequently attained QTS via ITT routes in England. For further information, please contact the overseas trained teacher advice line on: 0800 389 2500 or e-mail ott@cfbt-hq.org.uk

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

They may very well be. However the main reason they are hired, along with the New Zealanders and South Africans is that they are cheaper to employ than European teachers.

3. Amylicorice

Amylicorice New commenter

I was in a similar situation. I think I'm just going to rely on my Australian degree because the cost of the QTS aswell as how it the effects your pay in England anyway.
    good luck to you.