1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How 'true to life' are you in observations?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, Jan 20, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I know I change when i'm being observed, and my classroom looks very different in reality than it does in an observed lesson. For example, i'm more relaxed and have a joke when it's just me, but when i'm being observed, I tend to put on a 'nice' voice... Anyone else find this? I dont think my lesson obs are an accurate reflection of reality?!

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I know I change when i'm being observed, and my classroom looks very different in reality than it does in an observed lesson. For example, i'm more relaxed and have a joke when it's just me, but when i'm being observed, I tend to put on a 'nice' voice... Anyone else find this? I dont think my lesson obs are an accurate reflection of reality?!

3. Observations ...
    i liken myself to the con men selling the Emperor his new clothes!

4. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

They are ridiculous in short and prove nothing..how we cant think of a better way to judge people than that is incredible...I play the game..its a load of nonsense we all know that-

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd say mine are a pretty accurate reflection of how things are normally. I'm not the sort of person to get worried about observations though, so just get on with it. If I was a more nervous kind then I think I'd change things.

6. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I try to be 'me' as much as possible! In my most recent obs the head walked in to find me sitting crossed legged on one of the desks teaching from there instead of using a chair or standing up!

7. The Red Heron

thats just being a total slob nothing to do with 'being me' Id have kicked your ars.e

8. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

She knows I do it. She pops in and joins me on the table for a chat at times. I feel comfortable and relaxed up there and it means I can see all the kids. If I'm on a chair I lose sight of the ones at the back. Obviously when I'm working with a group I use a chair but in whole class teaching I tend to be perched on a table or my set of drawers.

9. The Red Heron

what can I say? sitting on tables rather than chairs...well done...god knows how the rest of the profession manages to control their class whilst using chairs to sit on

10. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

God knows eh? Somehow I still get 'good's and 'outstanding's on my observations so obviously the smt in my school have got their priorities right and realise it doesn't matter how I sit/stand/kneel/dance around the room but what I actually do with the children that counts. Bloomin miracle considering that sitting on a table makes me a terrible slob and therefore a rubbish teacher

11. The Red Heron

Didnt say it made you a rubbish teacher, your words...but yes, you are a total slob in you sit on tables...do your kids do it? Would you accept that on your dining/coffee table at home? in a pub? no

12. The Red Heron

Can I also remind you that one of your professional requirements is to set good examples at all times to your pupils with the way you conduct yourself..presumably then you dont mind the kids sitting on tables that were brought to, you know...write on and things like that

13. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

Don't be daft. Everyone knows that tables in pubs are for dancing on...

14. The Red Heron

ha ha, quite good that :)