1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How tough are these areas?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Dan-mc, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Dan-mc

Dan-mc New commenter

Hi there,

I have been teaching in Scotland for a while now and have a permanent job. Due to my partner's work situation, there's a high chance that a move to England will soon be on the cards, and I am trying to learn more about how teaching works in England compared to here.

Above all, I would hate to leave my permanent post only to be unemployed indefinitely.

We are looking at primarily these three areas: Exeter, Oxfordshire, and Leicester. Oxfordshire is the most likely of the 3 at the moment, but how my work situation would look would influence in which of these 3 we wend up in.

I have been trying to look up jobs in the area, but a friend of mine said most vacancies in England only appear in the summer, for the following school year, and thus not much coming up now doesn't necessarily need that there isn't a teacher shortage/general need in the area. Certainly, there appears to be very little on the go right now (whereas here, it is more common for people to move now and start new roles after Christmas).

Can anyone enlighten me as to how likely I would be to be able to get a permanent job in those areas, if I were to move to any of them next summer? Would any of them be particularly harder than the others?

Thanks for any tips and advice.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If you have successful experience of teaching Maths or Physics at A-level, you are in my view 100% guaranteed of getting a job.

;)

You do understand that it all depends on what your teaching experience is? And you don't tell us . . .

Best wishes

3. Dan-mc

Dan-mc New commenter

Sorry, I should have specified: I am a primary teacher.

I am currently in my second full year of teaching. I wouldn't be looking to move before the summer at the earliest, so I would have two years of teaching experience by then. My qualification and experience allow me to teach at any primary stage, but for these two years, I have mostly been with the equivalent of early/KS1.

Thanks. :)

4. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

For primary, your prospects are considerably better in Leicester or Oxfordshire. Jobs in Devon are still relatively hard to secure.

The prospects may be even brighter in any other towns you could think of that are about an hour and a half south of Leicester on the M1, and just north of London...

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

A lot will depend upon whether the schools are expanding pupil numbers and whether they are suffering from budget issues. This is likely to be very localised, some schools in a county may be growing while their neighbours may have difficulty.
    Generally urban areas are more likely to be expanding
    Do also make sure you register with the NCTL ( English equivalent of the GTC) in good time before the move so your QTS is recognised.