1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to write a letter to a school about supply?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by cliveceltic, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Was going to ask the same. My LEA are in the process of vetting me but did tell me to contact my preferred schools direct once I am cleared to let them know.

2. Last year when I was just starting out I sent a letter to about 20 schools and visited another 20 but didn't get a single day's work from any of them. The agency though kept me fully employed thank goodness.

3. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

I can't see how any school would be prepared to take you on in September when you won't even have a CRB application pending in that LA when you approach schools. Your home LA supply service is not going to vet you or register you if you are decamping to anotehr area, where your new agency is located, in October.
    Why don'y you move to your new area in September and claim JSA and Housing benefit etc whilst waiting for work to materialise? There are always some schools that need temporary teachers n September and agencies are more likely to send an NQT as you're cheaper.

4. Hi Minty_dinosaur,

This section on my website: http://www.supplybag.co.uk/gettingstarted.html is all about getting started as a supply teacher. It has a section on contacting schools, in person and by writing letters etc.

There's a lot of information on the forum in a similar section too.

Good luck!

NuttySupplier