1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to write a good follow up letter

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Frog100, Feb 28, 2011.

1. I've now had a couple of interviews, with one job stating that they still want to interview more widely. Obviously I didn't impress, but then they have not ruled me out either. Is this common for schools to do? I thought if a school wasn't convinced they'd reject me?
    Another school has expressed great interest in my application, though the job is 'tentative' so I will have to wait on that. My question is how best can I write a positive follow up letter/email to both these jobs? Any advice is appreciated as I'm sure there are others in the same boat as me. Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

If anything a short and sweet one. Don't be gushing. "Thank you for keeping me informed, I look forward to hearing from you in due course." Sound too desperate and, like a potential girlfriend, they will be put off.
    and
    Pretty much the same thing said in two different ways. Most likely they are keeping their hopes up on someone better coming along. Without seeing your CV and meeting you it is difficult to know what they consider better. It also depends on the school and how good they are and the value of package. They don't feel confident enough in you to offer the job, but you're not so bad they will take a chance on you if no-one else turns up.

3. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

School Number 1 has rejected you, they are just too whimpy to tell you.

School numbrt 2 has a member of staff that they want to keep, he has an interview next week and they are hoping he fails. If he gets the job they will contact the 20 teachers that got the "great interest" E-Mail.

Do not waste any energy on these 2 schools, they may contact you if 1st choices fall through, but nothing you do will affect it.

Use your energy to apply to more schools.

4. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

possibly, but why advertise the job before they need to; waste of money. (unless they simply posted it on their own website or have a subscription with someone like Eteach - few international schools bother with eteach though as its rather poor value)
    Nevertheless, you make the point soundly about moving on.

5. A lot of schools on other sites will advertise a range of jobs, some listed as 'firm' or 'definite' vacancies, some listed as 'tentative'. I guess they want a few possibilities that they can contact to make a quick appointment if the tentative vacancy becomes a definite one (due to staff leaving, as above, or roll fluctuations).

6. Schools would not post a job anywhere simply because they have a subsciption or only on their website I would of thought? The HR process alone of creating job descriptions, packs etc would create extra work and they would not do this unless they felt the need.

As alreacy said, It sounds like to me they advertised this to ensure they could fill the role quickly if the Teacher did move on; I have known from other Schools to have done this before, but of course this does leave the applying Teachers less hope.

But good Luck with it all!