1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to work out how much daughter should contribute?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ROSIEGIRL, Apr 2, 2012.

1. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

Daughter (graduate) has got a real paid job - not well paid but it's a start.
    So the question is, how much should she contribute to the household? How do we work it out?
    Any suggestions or advice?

2. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

Daughter (graduate) has got a real paid job - not well paid but it's a start.
    So the question is, how much should she contribute to the household? How do we work it out?
    Any suggestions or advice?

3. Personally I'd only charge the marginal cost of her staying - ie the extra electricity, gas etc that you use because she is there. Probably won't be much. However if you want to deter her from staying for life, then the going market rent!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

When my children started to work, our guideline was 10% towards 'board & lodging', as this covered all differences in wages and despite disparity in earnings made it 'fair'. They then could contribute voluntarily towards extras eg if they used the phone more.

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

Depends on your income and outgoings and her income and other (non-monetary) contribution.
    Crazy idea I know, but why not sit down and talk to her about it? Show her the outgoings of the household and then agree an amount between you.

6. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

I would say just make sure you charge her something! The 10% LaraMFL05 suggested was a good idea. I just know of too many young people who take the p**s if their parents don't charge rent. They never understand the cost of living, have a shock when they eventually live independently and can't manage their money. Good luck - I remember my parents doing the same with me after I Ieft university and I initially thought it unfair as they didn't need my money but understood once they explained why. It's respect for your parents as much as anything!

7. The rule in our house was always pay a 3rd to parents, save a 3rd and have a 3rd left to spend. Depending on how much she earns depends on how much you get.

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

This is a delicate one and one on which I'm always at odds with most TES posters. The problem with charging too little is that the young adults might consider their entire salary as "pocket money" to be spent on themselves once the minimal sum has been paid to parents. This,in turn.means that they never want to move out.

9. My mother was, in retrospect, very clever. She charged me so much for living at home it was actually cheaper to leave!
    I think the thirds rule a good one.

10. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

In the year I lived at home as an NQT after returning from 4 years away at uni, my parents charged me around £100 per month.
    Just as an idea, how responsible is she with money? If you think she's responsible enough to save on her own then I like the idea of her contributin a third to the household, a third for saving and a third for spending; that allows her to experience what it's really like to pay towards the costs of running a house and NOT just have her whole salary as 'play money'.
    I have friends who earn half my salary but live at home and pay minimal rent. They have FAR more disposable income than I do and seem to be able to afford more nights out and treats than me. Yet, they all complain that they don't have enough money to move out.....ermmmm, try doing fewer shots on a night out and saving that money up; you could afford rent if you wanted to!

11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I think that's what people should do but a lot of parents don't do that nowadays. I really don't understand why.

12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I feel that's really the trend,isn't it? It drives me mad when colleagues say their adult children cannot afford to move out but I know that their kids have a brand new car and seem to go on at least two holidays a year. They just pay a minimal sum to parents (and often moan about it!) and the rest is spending money. When those kids are in their late twenties,I see it as a problem.

13. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

20% of salary for first year rising by 10% p.a. any subsequent years she stays x

14. I wouldn't expect my daughter to contribute at all., unless she really really wanted to. We managed to pay the bills before she was paid, so we shall manage again. It seems rather predatory to jump on children the moment they start earning and expect them to cough up. Their lives will be hard enough anyway without parents taking money off them. How will they ever save enough for a deposit on a mortgage if their parents take a cut from day one?

15. Richie Millions

Surely though it is the only way to get rid of them?

16. They'll get rid of you one day for sure

17. I live at home still and I pay my parents 25% of my wages up to £25 (I'm currently supply). This works out well and they check every couple of weeks that I'm still saving up to pay for my car insurance, mot etc. The thought of the money not being there for my car terrifies me as I wouldn't then be able to work so I save it. I do have a life and enjoy having treats but I feel that I know the value of money.

18. How long does it go on for? Until they earn more than you?

19. Richie Millions

Never had children for that very reason.

20. joli2

joli2 New commenter

I agree.