1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to work in America as a Teacher?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by IainDerby, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Hello Everyone,

I am currently
    working as a Foundation Teacher (Early Years) at a large inner city school in
    the UK. I have experience working in a Special Educational Needs school and
    have a PGCE and a BA Degree in Early Years.

I have been
    reading lots of interesting posts on this website about how to become a teacher
    in the USA but wanted to know more information on American perceptions of males
    working within the lower phase of Primary school (5-7 year olds).

Looking at the VIF
    website, I do not have 2 years experience within the classroom as a qualified
    teacher. I have one years experience as a Teacher and one years experience as a
    Teaching Assistant (Special Needs School).

My best friend is
    a qualified Nurse and used a 'similar company' to immigrate over to Australia.
    She had lots of legal problems with the company who promised everything and
    gave nothing.
    <font size="3">I would love to
    hear from U.S teachers/ UK teachers who have been in my position and can give me a good
    insight into what to expect. </font>

I look forward to
    hearing from you.

Thankyou

Iain [​IMG]

2. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

I know that in inner city US schools (where I currently teach secondary) male elementary teachers are rare except for PE teachers. Most male elementary teachers have little problem finding employment because school admins. want to have good male role models present for inner city youth. Actually most inner city districts have openings currently in elementary. The downside is the schools are underfunded, discipline is tough and teacher morale is pretty low. Rural and suburban school districts are a different story, jobs are hard to come by.