1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to word an email?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by chubbyone, Jul 21, 2019.

1. chubbyone

chubbyone Occasional commenter

Been off work for an extended time, when my note runs out, which will be in the holiday now, I was advised by the union to send an email stating this to SLT. Reason being holidays will count and to ensure they are aware that the Dr has not given another. Can I think how to word the email? Help please, much appreciated.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ask your union to help you/write it for you?
    They may even send it on your behalf.

They can give more details than any of us can.

3. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

Bear in mind that if you have been off for a while, you should really have a phased return which will of course affect you (and your class if you have one) in September so you will need to outline this in the email. You may need to suggest a face-to-face or phone meeting before starting back to get everything in place.

agathamorse and jlishman2158 like this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Let brevity be your friend.

Doesn't sound that difficult.

"Dear HT,

Just a brief email to confirm that my current sick note expires on blah de blah date. Naturally I shall not seek another sick note unless and until my health deteriorates. I do plan to return to work in September as my health is improving. If I were to have a relapse then you would be the first to know, I assure you.

Given the length of time I have been away from school I would welcome a referral to Occupational Health. Could you kindly ensure that they have my details. I am happy to be contacted during the holiday in order to facilitate a meeting as soon as possible in the new term."

The fact that union hasn't drafted it for you tells you that the wording isn't crucially important. It isn't something that ought to be a source of stress.

5. chubbyone

chubbyone Occasional commenter

Thanks my lovelies.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

Absolutely do NOT write this!

Laphroig likes this.
  7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I think that depends - although holidays are holidays, many people might prefer to have the OH appointment in advance of term starting or as soon as possible thereafter. Perhaps phrase it slightly differently to make it clear that you're not willing to be contacted for other reasons: "I am happy for the Occupational Health team to contact me over the summer in order to facilitate a meeting as soon as possible in September." Perhaps specify how OH might contact you and that you're happy for them to be given those contact details - it will be better to let them know how you would prefer to be contacted. It's no use them using your work email if you're not checking it, but you might prefer that to a phone call.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  8. caterpillartobutterfly

The way of contacting is why the OP should most definitely NOT say they can be contacted int he holidays.

The OP should not have to spend the holidays worrying that OH have sent them an appointment and they haven't seen it.
    Nor should they be checking emails every week/day to see if there is an appointment, it would be impossible not to see any other work emails at the same time.
    Nor should the OP freak out each time their own phone bleeps/rings/does a dance in case it is work telling them when the OH appointment is.

Whatever the reason for the absence, it is crucial that the OP takes control of their work/life balance.
    There should be no work related anything, outside of what the OP chooses and dictates, before term starts.
    OH can wait until term starts. The head/HR aren't going to read any reports or put anything in place before then.

No one should ever, whatever the reason or place of work, say 'it's OK to contact me in the holidays'.
    People can use their judgement as so what constitutes a real emergency needing contact.

9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Yep, be clear about what you need and what you want. Be proactive. Don't leave it up to them.

Under legislation you too have a duty of care to yourself and to others. Make sure you exercise that duty of care and do not neglect your own health! You can never argue that the employer has failed in their duty of care if you don't inform them of your needs! So make damned sure they are in no doubt!