1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to use an alphabet arc?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by freckles88, May 2, 2012.

1. I work with a year 6 child who has been identified as having 'dyslexic traits' - one of the things he struggles with being blending and segmenting and knowing his alphabet and the sounds that the letters make. The lady from support services has given me a report with some ideas of resources and strategies to use but she is one of those people who just leave a report and run off before I have a chance to talk to her and ask for clarification on some of the things! So I'm turning to you lot! :)
    One of the things she has recommended is using an alphabet arc... I've had a look and it seems to me that it's just the aplhabet going round in an arc, but I'm unsure how to really use it other than to recite the alphabet. Can anyone give me some ideas of strategies or games to make best use of the alphabet arc? How do you use it with your SEN children?

2. I work with a year 6 child who has been identified as having 'dyslexic traits' - one of the things he struggles with being blending and segmenting and knowing his alphabet and the sounds that the letters make. The lady from support services has given me a report with some ideas of resources and strategies to use but she is one of those people who just leave a report and run off before I have a chance to talk to her and ask for clarification on some of the things! So I'm turning to you lot! :)
    One of the things she has recommended is using an alphabet arc... I've had a look and it seems to me that it's just the aplhabet going round in an arc, but I'm unsure how to really use it other than to recite the alphabet. Can anyone give me some ideas of strategies or games to make best use of the alphabet arc? How do you use it with your SEN children?

3. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

I've just bumped another thread on this subject up for you

4. I'd definitely recommend looking at the other thread as this has all been debated recently. https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/569372.aspx?PageIndex=3#7434745

If you would like more information on an alphabet arc, the following article is on my new website.

http://senteaching.info/what-is-an-alphabet-arc/

Sorry, chrome doesn't paste links properly - just copy and paste this into your address bar.

5. Sorry, I didn't realise there was another thread, thanks for the link I'll have a look :)