1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to unregister from supply agency?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Honeybee88, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Honeybee88

Honeybee88 New commenter

Hi just a quick question.

I am new to supply as a qualified teacher. I joined two supply agencies in January, one of them I am not so keen on, the other I really like.

The one I feel I have been messed about by as have been sent to schools only to get there and find out I'm a TA or lunch time supervisor, which is not what I have signed up for, also then this means half the wages.

The one I like have been really reliable so far, had plenty of work offered and even in my area and at my preferred age group.

I want to give up the unreliable one but I'm not sure how to go about it? Do I have to give any sort of notice? And do I just call them and tell them?

Thank you in advance.

2. educ80

educ80 Occasional commenter

Hi Honeybee88,

There are two options really. The proffessional one, whereby you ring the agency, voice your displeasure and tell them you no longer wish to work with them. Do not feel obligated to answer the inevitable questions such as 'where are you wokring? Who are you working for? How much do they pay you etc?' They are a desperate plea to keep you registered, not really appreciating that if they had done a good job in the first place you wouldnt be having this conversation.There is no notice period as you are (probably) on a 'contract for services' which effectively means there is no obligation to accept work, or for the agency to find you work and you can go your seperate ways. I would always advocate an honest appraisal of your reasons why - as much abuse as agencies receive on these forums, much of it justified, agencies will never change their practices if they are not told that their practicies are poor.
    The second way is to just dissappear, ignore all calls and emails and simply let the relationship just fade away. This is not the most proffessional but if you feel your agency are not going to treat your request with respect then its an understandable option.

Hope that helps.

3. Honeybee88

Honeybee88 New commenter

Hi Educ80,

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping it would be as simple as a phone call, so feeling very relieved now. Think I will go with option A.

Thanks for the advice :)

4. pixiewixiepixie

pixiewixiepixie Occasional commenter

Firstly, you don't have to have any dealings with agencies. Search these forums for limited company and sole trader. You could double your income easily by working for yourself. If you are not sure, set yourself up whilst still working for an agency and transition over time. But if you are happy to lose 6 or 7 hundred a week to agencies, carry on.

Secondly, you aren't a slave. Ring up the offending agency, state you will not accept any further work from them and ask them to remove all personal data from their systems. Confirm this in an email. If they ask, tell them the reasons in a professional way, monotone and matter of fact. They'll say sorry etc and will make excuses about your requirements not being recorded on their system but just confirm your mind is made up and you are working with other agencies who better match your requirements. Whatever you do, never say professional with 2 fs when speaking to them. It makes you look unprofffffesional.

5. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

It's best to call them and get your P45 for tax purposes too. Otherwise you may find your tax-free allowance is spread across the two agencies and you will over pay on the remaining one for the rest of the year.

wanet likes this.
  6. jamtart20

jamtart20 New commenter

Those questions you mention are exactly the ones I was asked when I told my old agency I had found work.

The consultant even said "I spoke to you about that didn't I?"

Yes she did but she never put me forward for it. I only found this out when two other agencies approached me with it!

You wonder what the point of these consultants are if they can't do, which is match the best candidate to the job (which I turned out to be).

Another time I was bombarded with questions was when I was put forward for a role, but there were crucial details I needed before the interview. It had reached 2pm on Friday, interview was on Monday. So I took the decision to ring the school.

"How did they get your phone number?"
    "Why were you talking to them?"

My only thoughts, all unspoken, were "sod off, it's none of your business".

I'm not sure where these people get off on this sort of behaviour. They insist they're not your employer and you're effectively self-employed. So why on Earth would I accept controlling behaviour?