1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to Turn Your Life Around

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

An interesting item I listened to on the R4 wireless this evening, made by a couple of individuals who had everything stacked against them, came through it to have success in life. When I say success, we aren't talking fabulous wealth or anything like that. Just people who had at one time hit rock bottom and could have remained that way, but found a way to get out of their misery and deprivation to become middle class people you wouldn't mind as neighbours.

They describe their backgrounds and the events that caused the transformation, looked a little into the psychology behind it and what governments can do to change things for the disadvantaged.

As it happens, the government didn't do anything in particular for them, although in one instance the opportunity for further education helped one. The programme ended with their joint conclusion that it was individuals who gave them the chance to see things differently. A sister and an ex-boyfriend in their cases, both of whom inspired them to try something different.

Have a listen while you're wondering what to do on your enforced holiday and come back with your thoughts. Mine were that much of what transformed their lives has been obvious to me since my mum stopped putting nappies on me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b074xbs4

2. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

If I wanted to listen to the bleedin radio I wouldn't come on here!

lindenlea likes this.
  3. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Maybe it's just a short item ....

..... peeking

no it's 38 mins long!!

Interesting though.. maybe I'll dip in later.

*feels less guilty as a threadkiller*

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

That sounds very interesting, DoY, and I will pursue this.

6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I'm into 3 minutes and wondering, with their first questions, if it's just DNA?