1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to turn down an interview politely?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rsc12, Apr 2, 2020.

1. rsc12

rsc12 New commenter

Hi guys

I have been applying for a NQT posts for a while and after what felt like thousands of interviews I've been offered a job at a wonderful school. The only issue is, my placement school has since offered me an interview, and the headteacher had asked me to apply and seemed excited when I did.

I feel guilty turning it down after talking to the head about it at length so I am looking for help in turning it down in a nice way.

For context, I live hundreds of miles away from my family and have a young son, I would like them to spend more time with him so I have been applying for jobs back home and it's one of those that I have accepted. The placement school is in my current part of the country, and is a brilliant school and I would have loved to work there, I just want to move home!

Any advice on how to turn it down would be great.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Just explain this
    The Head will understand your need to get back to your family and young son.
    plus
    means you are 'contractually unavailable' for any other interviews.

TheoGriff likes this.
  3. rsc12

rsc12 New commenter

Thank you!

I will definitely be using the phrase 'contractually unavailable'.