1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to transition from withdraw to in class support with minimal resources

Discussion in 'EAL' started by grdwdgrrrl, Jun 22, 2019.

1. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Hi, my school currently provides support by withdrawing year groups three times a week. I know some schools put students into groups according to ability/language level instead of year group. I’m trying to get into the classrooms more but it’s challenging.

2. yasf

yasf Established commenter

You primary or secondary? Although it's quite fashionable at the moment, there's quite a lot of research that suggests that push-in for secondary aged children isn't the best.

Also, what are they withdrawn from?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  3. grdwdgrrrl

I’m in primary and they are typically withdrawn from English, ironically.

4. yasf

yasf Established commenter

I'm in Secondary. Depending on their level they can be withdrawn from English, Humanities and Foreign Language.

5. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

I feel your pain when trying to get into class more!

We withdraw our EAL pupils who most need support (New to English) but it is usually from a logistical point of view because we have multi-entry year groups. However, we follow the year group planning so that the pupils are not missing out on the learning in class. We also try to support the teachers with suggestions about how to support and differentiate as well as putting together vocab lists and key visuals.

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  6. grdwdgrrrl

How much time do you have with your withdrawn students? I have 3- 50 minute sessions a week. My line manager, who is deputy head a a former class teacher is very disappointed with my teaching. I’m trying to link to the curriculum but he wants us to have an EAL curriculum. I don’t get to collaborate with the teachers when I do my once a week in class support and see what the students are having difficulty with I use that as a basis for my withdrawal lesson.