1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to Track your Classes Performance

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by TeacherMetrics, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,

My name is Ray and I'm CEO of TeacherMetrics a new simple way to track and monitor your students performance through quick and easy weekly quizzes.

We're currently looking for people to test our service before we launch it fully to the world and the TES forums is a great place to connect with talented teachers to help us to help you!

Our service basically allows teachers to create a quick online test each week that students fill out in their own time. These tests are then automatically marked and the results presented in an easy to understand, visual way for you to look over.

We point out -

Class trends - if the whole class do poorly at a particular question then it needs to be covered again.
    Individual trends - we flag up students who have done poorly on tests whether it be a one off (in comparison to their usual performance) or a general trend. So you can identify and solve issues quicker.
    Long term trends - Over the course of the year you can show the progression the class has made (and this also covers your arss!)

My main goal of reaching out to teachers is to improve the product further, so any suggestions you put forward stand a very good chance of making it to our final product!

Pop over to http://teachermetrics.com or drop me a reply in this email to get involved in the future of progress tracking.

2. Hi everyone,

My name is Ray and I'm CEO of TeacherMetrics a new simple way to track and monitor your students performance through quick and easy weekly quizzes.

We're currently looking for people to test our service before we launch it fully to the world and the TES forums is a great place to connect with talented teachers to help us to help you!

Our service basically allows teachers to create a quick online test each week that students fill out in their own time. These tests are then automatically marked and the results presented in an easy to understand, visual way for you to look over.

We point out -

Class trends - if the whole class do poorly at a particular question then it needs to be covered again.
    Individual trends - we flag up students who have done poorly on tests whether it be a one off (in comparison to their usual performance) or a general trend. So you can identify and solve issues quicker.
    Long term trends - Over the course of the year you can show the progression the class has made (and this also covers your arss!)

My main goal of reaching out to teachers is to improve the product further, so any suggestions you put forward stand a very good chance of making it to our final product!

Pop over to http://teachermetrics.com or drop me a reply in this email to get involved in the future of progress tracking.

3. Yes it sounds fab!! Exactly the sort of thing I've been looking for. My email is danell61@hotmail.com

4. Excellent Nelly. I have added you to our tester list and you will email you once we are ready for you with your login details. Would you be open to giving us feedback and suggestions for features to add? This really is a tool that can only be made better by working with teachers and so I'm very keen to do this!

5. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Sorry TM but I don't see how the sorts of tests I give could be automatically marked.

6. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I am trying to get my head around it - I teach French. I would imagine I could test reading that way but I don't imagine it would be a very high level and that's what I am expected to to assess for - the NC levels.

Writing, listening and speaking couldn't be tested that way I don't think.

I can see how it would be useful for other subjects though - pity I don't teach them lol

7. Kitty- PMed

8. GreenyBee

GreenyBee New commenter

I'll test it for you if you like. I teach science.
    How would you like me to proceed?

9. Hi GreenyBee! Thank you for your interest. Just drop your email into the form at http://teachermetrics.com/signuptoday.html and we'll be in contact RE testing and feedback very shortly.

Thanks,

Ray

10. Hi all!

I'm currently testing the metrics (teacher alerts, graphs, charts, figures etc) that will be pushed into TeacherMetrics.com with a service at Gradebooker.com

I'm really keen to see if you think the metrics are useful and if you have any ideas for additional metrics that could be created from the percentages of students test results.

So please pop over to Gradebooker.com and drop me some feedback using the 'give feedback' button on the bottom of the page. Clicking this will allow you to see what other teachers have suggested too.

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Ray

11. wbn

wbn

Hi I teach maths. Would live to try it out.

12. Awesome wbn. To get in first join the teacher testing team by dropping your email address here - http://gradebooker.com/signup.html

13. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

Agree whole-heartedly with this. I teach English and our school tried to get us to use some similar software on our VLE, not really understanding that it wouldn't work as English isn't assessed in a question and answer fashion.

14. Mmm well I shall have a think of some way to incorporate this into a workable structure to gain metrics from it. If you've any ideas let me know and I'll see if I could build something to help!

15. I'm now working with over 250+ teachers from around the world to improve Gradebooker.com. I'm opening up another 100 spaces for BETA testers tomorrow and so I'm posting here to let the TES crowd in first.

Go here - http://www.gradebooker.com/signup.php to join the BETA testing team and help make a gradebook that's actually useful for teachers.

16. Or rather,

I now have working free for me over 250+ desperately keen to be charitable teachers from around the world to improve Gradebooker.com. I'm opening up another 100 spaces for unpaid BETA testers tomorrow and so I'm posting here to let the TES crowd in first, before I move on to other educational forums. Go here - http://www.gradebooker.com/signup.php to join the BETA testing team and help get me promoted, make me rich and make a gradebook that's actually useful for teachers, but not for kids.

Love and dollar signs all for me please,

TM

xxx

17. No way that you work in the NHS and do this as a sideline in your spare time for nothing. Your whole manner comes across as North American and non-applicable to most children's education especially with this multiple choice rubbish.
    Jog on. :)

18. Look, follow me on twitter if you need to discuss further. I live in North Wales and yes I work in Sterile Services in an NHS Hospital. I enjoy making cool apps that people find useful. My last app was a mobile webpage that gives you your mobile location for use before you call 999. In September when the Uni students go back to University there is a massive influx of 999 calls that tie up ambulance services as the students (some of which being new to the city) don't know where they are. So this was promoted in the freshers literature.

I'm not sure what part of Gradebooker (a free gradebook for teachers) isn't applicable for children education. There is no multiple choice anything in Gradebooker?

Anyway I feel I may be being baited here by a troll. Thank you for your feedback on the Gradebooker project. Please feel free to get involved, otherwise I reserve the right to ignore your opinion.

19. You stated - The testing structure we are using at the moment is a multiple choice set up (this can and probably will change as we work with teachers, but so far it is able to provide very real and valuable analytics, via a simple testing method).

You later stated - I'm not sure what part of Gradebooker (a free gradebook for teachers) isn't applicable for children education. There is no multiple choice anything in Gradebooker?

Basically you don't have a clue about assessment and feedback in modern education. As per the quotes above you state that there is multiple choice (see your sample too) and then you state that there is not multiple choice. Multiple choice assessment is extremely limited in checking understanding and is rarely if ever use in the higher level educational market. Great for producing data but rubbish for assessment and evaluation. Put simply, multiple choice is an out-of-date idea that keeps popping up because it is easy to use in an automated setting.

You present yourself as some sort of, hey I am a cool volunteer who likes doing apps in my spare time to help teachers, etc. Fine, but you let out your true colours by using the word 'we' in the first quote. You are clearly fronting a group which wants to do something simple and educationally unsound in order to make money in the future. Good luck to you, but your product is educationally unsound despite it possible being 'free' at the moment. Your business plan is a common approach and it is to suck gullible teachers in and later to get them to pay. I am fine with that but don't pretend your charitable status and don't pretend that you are not using the ideas and labour of teachers to help you get rich. Balderdash!

BTW it's not trolling when you disagree with someone. Cheap shot... like you product.