1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to tell year 10 class off

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by rozzajunior, Nov 29, 2019.

1. rozzajunior

rozzajunior New commenter

Hi everyone and happy Friday...

I am head of year 10 and give my year weekly focuses. This week was bringing in items for the tombola. In general the classes did well and brought in lots of items but one class only brought two items in. They seem to find it funny but I was appalled - all encouragement fell on deaf ears and no one was engaged with the idea of bringing it in for charity.

I need to address it with them when I next go in as their lack of generosity is shocking - how would you advise I do so? Disappointed? Calmly? I want it to get through that this is really poor.

tips and phrases welcome!

thank you

2. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Idea 1:
    Try calling them out in a jokey fashion in front of the rest during an assembly e.g. "Boys, if you're looking for a cheap date, try the girls in 10b - they think giving two tin of beans between them is the height of generosity."

[I'd get away with this with my year 10s in my setting - I appreciate this might not be the image you have cultivated with them. Plus, if there are girls in 10b who have a bit of a rep already, then obviously you'd want to steer clear of this particular example.]

Idea 2:
    Get somebody they respect to talk to them about a time that they needed to rely on charity - a local community figure, for example. Perhaps if they can visualise the people charity will be helping them it'll more real to them and less of an abstract concept.

Idea 3:
    Karma. What goes around, comes around. Arrange a reward for the class that gave the most. Really advertise the reward and why they got it. When the other classes complain that they didn't know there would be a reward make the point that you wanted to reward students' innate generosity, not their competitiveness.

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Telling off is unlikely to change behaviour but there are other ways to make a point as tb9605 says

576 likes this.
  4. streetno9

streetno9 New commenter

I agree. Telling the class off will reinforce the behaviour. Without more context I'm willing to make several stabs at what's going on in the room. My guess is that most of the class don't actually find it funny - laughter is a safe physical response, especially if other students are doing it. Within the room, there will be ring leaders and bigger personalities - these will be the ones whose attitudes you will need to change. Make the issue the people who their lack of charity is affecting. Some cold hard facts perhaps. Also, the thai advert of the chap who gives freely and generously having a massive impact is a proper tear-jerky way of getting them back on board (the one that ends with the girl able to attend school). If you were to provide a way for the class to donate unobtrusively, you may see some truer charity too. Hope this helps and keep trying.

rozzajunior likes this.
  5. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

If I was in that class, I might give my donations to a friend in another form to put in theirs rather than be noticed to be bucking the trend...this might have happened.
    I'm put in mind of a year 10 form I once had who were pretty negative (including towards me). Some kids had brought in cards/presents for me for Christmas but waited until everyone else had gone to sneak in and give them to me! I'd imagine any charity donation appeal would have been the same.
    I'd praise the forms that were generous (maybe with an unexpected very public reward!) but pretty much ignore those that weren't. It won't make much difference until they are a bit more mature.

rozzajunior likes this.
  6. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

Just thank the year group for their contribution. You might want to say that you know times are hard.

what was the tombola for just out of interest - I always collected stuff for the food bank - the irony being that some of my students actually received the goods that some of my students donated!

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It's not poor at all. In fact you sound a bit despotic in your frustration. Sorry.

They have chosen not to bring in items for charity. or they cannot. Or they do not understand the concept. Seriously-as HoY you ought to know your audience rather than revile their propensity to not give away possessions from their own homes
    You being shocked at their choice is incredibly misplaced, when you ought to be dishing out shock for lack of work, lack of application, lack of good behaviour, whatever they fall short in that pertains to their contract with the school. (most schools have one these days, not always named "contract" but on starting, usually an agreement by the child/parents that they will stick to the general requirements of school.)
    Does donating items to charity come into that?

You have no right at all to undermine their disinterest in charity-how would you like it if I shook a collection can at you while you were out shopping and then chased you down the road angrily when you failed to put something in?

8. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

I agree with the idea3 from the first post. Perhaps just explain your disappointment and say it should have been a cohort effort and relate it back to team building and perhaps a sense of community philanthropy (meh).

However, I also agree with the post above me. The one thing I couldn't stand about my last school was their militant behaviour on charitable activities. For example, non-school uniform charity days. Bring £1 to wear your own clothes or £2 to remain in uniform. Some students just couldn't afford £1 let alone £2 or in other cases, students were embarrassed to wear their own clothes because it's not from Topshop or Nike. The students who didn't bring in money were either put in isolation or given detention. That's just a prime example.

Showing an interest in charity should be a choice, not a compulsive thing forced upon any students, anyone for that matter. Some students can't afford to offer a spare tin of beans, some may refuse because they don't believe in that charity's cause (e.g. someone who's had a terrible time with a particular charity). There's many reasons. I don't think berating them will get the desired effect you seek.

Being charitable isn't part of the school curriculum and maybe it's not even part of school procedure (nor should it be). So focus on the real stuff as HoY and not insignificant things like charity (in comparison to why they're at school in the first place). If someone wishes to be Mother Theresa then fair enough. If others choose not to be, that's fine too.

Also, I'd have a word with the form tutor. Did they not encourage their form enough? That's personally where I'd start, not with the students themselves. But I don't know what I'm talking about - I'd suck as HoY ha!

9. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Is it possible some of them may not be able to afford to contribute?

Is it possible that some may come from families that need charity, are embarrassed by it and laugh to distance themselves?

Is it possible you donated lots of items to charity at 15? If so, good for you. If not, why are you berating young teenagers?

caress, Jonntyboy and Piranha like this.
  10. GeordieKC

GeordieKC Occasional commenter

Maybe the way it has been recounted, but I do not see much to suggest student involvement or engagement with this activity - were they involved in selecting the charity, were they involved in deciding how to support the chosen charity? If not then why should they support this?

11. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I believe that giving to a charity is a personal decision, and not something that should be forced on people. By all means encourage people to be generous, but I think it wrong to try to make people feel guilty about it. Probably, the ones who take it hardest would be those who can't afford it. I suspect that most donations come from parents anyway.

12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Not sure why this thread popped up on my list, but it did. I'm horrified at the OP's attitude to charity giving.
    Maybe it was a charity the children didn't feel strongly about and only one class had the gumption to ignore the request?
    I've seen a zillion ads over the holidays asking me to donate £2 to this and £3 to that. Should I be berated for not doing so?

What is the role of the form teachers in this? I'd be fuming if a head of year (who, given they were training in 2015, seems to have been promoted very, very quickly, which could be part of the problem here) told my class off for not bringing in items or gave a reward to another class who had brought more. Some children in that other class would have brought nothing, yet share in the reward. Some in mine have brought something, but get to share in the telling off.

Donating to charity, be it money or items, must be voluntary.

caress, VeronicAmb, Flanks and 4 others like this.
  13. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

This is appalling, you need to change your working practices completely so charity donations are totally annonymous and not recorded against any class or individuals.

I am reminded of the time when we had no spare food in the house at all, and my children were humiliated because they had not brought in donations for a food bank.

Unbelievably, this still goes on in some schools.

Your children may well be recipients of charity, and have nothing to donate, you are setting out to make them ashamed of being in that position.

Charity should be donated to, and benefited from freely, anonymously and without any privileged, sheltered ignorant teacher imposing judgement

14. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

I'd be horrified to see a form group, or anyone, told off for not giving to charity. Personal choice, dependent on means, and their perception of the charity, how it will be managed, how it has been communicated to them ... all sorts of reasons why people won't have given. If it's not by free choice that's not giving to charity that's avoiding a punishment

caress, VeronicAmb, Piranha and 5 others like this.
  15. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I give more to my favorite charity than you do @rozzajunior .

I find your lack of generosity shocking.

I am very disappointed in you

What can I do to get through to you that this is really poor.

16. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

There's a wider issue couched in this thread, namely the "incentivising" in schools of things that don't really matter.
    At the tip of this meaningless iceberg is the fact of school budget and how roll numbers impact on it.
    But on a lesser scale we have to work with this nonsense in all kinds of ways-pizza for those who attend school the most. House points for those who wear the correct shoes the most often. Performance managed teachers who strut the best results
    And the inverse, reprimands to those who have too many low results-threatening letters to parents for low attendance, citing the potential to be losers in the results stakes. Isolation for wrong uniform.
    And in this thread, huffing and puffing from HoY to those who have performed poorly on yet another metric-"how much we give to charity compared to other groups"

The robots are in charge, numerating and evaluating that which cannot and should not actually be counted. And missing the actual needs of their cohort.
    Salaried nonsense.

17. rozzajunior

I'm sorry?

18. rozzajunior

it's not quite the same. I found it a shame that there was no interest in charity.

19. rozzajunior

it was a Christmas fair. The girls were asked to bring in chocolate items e.g a chocolate bar.

20. rozzajunior

I know the year group and know that is not the case for any of them.