1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to teach when over 45

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Spider3, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Yep passed that magic age so unable to 'get Down Under directly' now me thinks. Can anyone suggest any Oz states that may be lenient towards offerring a 457 Visa or similar to this old codger and/or what the general state of play is regards teacher shortages in rural areas etc..Info appreciated. ps. Im 48.

2. Yep passed that magic age so unable to 'get Down Under directly' now me thinks. Can anyone suggest any Oz states that may be lenient towards offerring a 457 Visa or similar to this old codger and/or what the general state of play is regards teacher shortages in rural areas etc..Info appreciated. ps. Im 48.

3. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

An indirect approach would be to try and get a job teaching in New Zealand. After 5 years residence you would then be eligible for New Zealand citizenship, which then entitles you to work in the Lucky Country.

In fact, the requirement used to be 3 years residence. I think it got increased to 5 to placate the Aussies who were fed up with people doing just this.

If you are really desperate to get into Oz quickly, I suppose you could consider marriage :).

4. Really? I have never met an Ozzie who's parents were married....
    [​IMG]

5. Oh, dash...
    'whose'.. [​IMG]