1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to teach subordinate clauses in a more interesting way...

Discussion in 'English' started by phoebe84, Oct 18, 2011.

1. I feel like I always teach this in a really bog standard way! Does anyone have any good ideas as to how to make this a more interesting topic?
    Thanks in advance for any ideas!

2. anteater

anteater New commenter

You know, I think we sometimes tie ourselves in knots trying to be interesting. I really don't think most pupils mind being taught some bog standard things in bog standard ways. A little bit of quiet work on such stuff as subordinate clauses can be an oasis of calm before we get back to the rest of the all-singing, all-dancing lesson. Some of my classes concentrate far harder when being taught/revising stuff like that than when I am trying to lead them in the most fantastic discussion or drama activity! I think the trick is to do it little and often, so it doesn't get boring.
    Or you could use the ideas in this teachers' tv programme with Phil Beadle (who desperately needs a haircut). You may not have much scope for all the footballs, etc, that are needed, though. I did pinch his idea of throwing a ball to one of the students and having another student get in the way to demonstrate an embedded clause...the jury is still out on whether they will use them as a result of seeing this less than exciting demonstration of my ability to catch.
    https://www.tes.co.uk/ResourceDetail.aspx?storyCode=6084838&s_cid=Eng_News_RES
    Humour always helps. You can get them to contruct the most bizarre sentences, provided that they are using the clauses correctly.