1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to teach research skills?

Discussion in 'English' started by thequillguy, Jan 27, 2012.

1. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

That's a great idea! What would you do? I think the background to a novel would be suitable...

2. hi,

i've searched through the forums for "how to teach research skills" and have found nothing. I think that this is perhaps due to my terrible research skills more than anything else.
    ----------------------
    Debra Fine

3. Shakespeare was born in 1588 to a family of weapons dealers. Due to the invention of the Gatling gun, spears sadly became obsolete and his father, Vac Shakespeare sold the young Willliam as an indentured actor to a travelling theatre troupe. It was here Will learnt his craft; his first role playing the baby Jesus in an early version of the nativity. Aged 13, he made a brilliant Desdemona ( the main female lead in Othello, written in 1621), capturing the inherent innocence and purity of the part perfectly. In those days it was normal for male actors to play the female parts as Queen Elizabeth the First decreed that women were too important to take badly paying jobs...

4. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Occasional commenter Forum guide

A good question OP. It inspired me to find my own answers too. Hope some of it's of use:

http://www.idiscoveriteach.com/2012/01/teaching-research-skills.html

5. thequillguy

Absolutely brilliant. If you could write a series of these faux-profiles you could make an entertaining flipbook! Will report back on how my students re-edit this entry. Right after I've read how Macbeth figures out how to remove Hamlet's donkey ears.

6. thequillguy

The response you wrote is immense roamingteacher. How about five distinct resources to develop research skills, not to mention one being an online game? Highly recommend to all that you follow that blog, and see that post.

7. Have you tried taking students to an archive? Archivists dedicate their working lives to making sure that students can research better and they are extremely knowledgeable and enthusiastic about their subject/s. Archives have a feeling of uncovering secret histories that helps make the process of investigation and analysis of sources more engaging.
    I work in the Learning Department at the National Theatre and our archive is a fantastic way to bring research into playwriting and theatre-making to life. You can bring students to watch footage of recent plays and contrast them with previous productions, you can see rehearsal notes and re-drafts of scripts marked up by writers and directors, as well as read reviews and programmes. You can take photocopies of materials away with you and there's no charge to visit.

8. thequillguy

It's posts like the above that almost make me to want to move from the North ;-) I think such an experience might stay with students more pertinently than odd lessons I would devise for them. Do you have workshop materials I wonder?

9. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Occasional commenter Forum guide

What a shame we are not in the UK! There are few enough opportunities for trips in our subject area...

And just to let you know that I've added a resource published today to the blog post (mentioned earlier on this thread) should you be interested in the resources there.

10. Hi, I just wanted to tell you that most school librarians can help with research skills. I am one such librarian and would love teachers to ask for my help. We have loads of resources and lesson idea's that will link in to the curriculum. It really depends on what you want to teach them, bias on the internet is only a small portion of the subject. Finding information from books is a great way to start with a lesson on keywords. You then can do a lesson on note taking from books which teaches them not to copy word for word. You can also get them to research the websites you have carefully selected and get them to use their keywords again and their note taking skills.....the possibilities are endless. I just wish I was at your school to show you. Go and ask in your school library. Good luck