1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how to teach report writing in Year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by peeceee, Mar 24, 2009.

1. I haven't been on here in ages...
    I am struggling with how to teach children to research and do report writing in year 2. Can some one guide me through this???

2. I haven't been on here in ages...
    I am struggling with how to teach children to research and do report writing in year 2. Can some one guide me through this???

3. Non-chronological reports?

4. yes...

5. Have done two related to toipcs - just publishing a Great Fire of London information book with my y2s and did a Ghana one last half term.
    We have done both towards the end of topics when we felt like the children had lots of knowledge and info to write about.
    We modelled planning as a fourway brainstorm skeleton and gave them the headings for their sections which they spent one lesson making notes under each heading. Then we spent a daywriting each section and the input was based around a spot the difference type activity for text analysis where we showed one good and one bad example of the section and the children picked out reasons why one was stronger writing than other. Looked at use of connectives and sentence structure for producing information rather than story writing.
    Does that sound like what you needed or can I be more specific??

6. Just read your op again and it meantioned research so I wasn't very helpful as I said they did them at the end of topics when they knew lots of stuff already. We did give them chance to read up on extra stuff about ghana on the planning day - they did a rotation around the tables which we had put information on under each heading we had given them but we had taylored the information for their reading as didn't think they would have the skills to research in its greates sense.

7. thanks for your help!!!