1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

How to teach phonics, eg oi and oy

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by flower82, Apr 20, 2011.

1. I am still getting to grips with phonics and haven't had much experience, but doesn't 'oy' usually come at the end of words as in boy and toy and 'oi' at the beginning and middle e.g. oil, boil, foil. Sorry I can't help any further but this could be your starting point.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

the middle /end "rule" is a good starting point at this stage but I would give them lists of words containing oi and oy and see if they can work it out themselves. Give them two highlighters different colours and find the grapheme

3. I could send you some resources that include oi & oy. I have words & sentences to use, posters and some card games.
    email: margaret2612@btinternet.com

4. Ann Foster, private Literacy Consultant runs fab courses on how to teach phonics. She says "shy i and toughy y" (said igh and why) - the i is shy and usually goes in the middle, and the y is tougher and can be at the end of the word.

5. There is full alphabetic code information in my Phonics International programme. This is provided on every core multi-skills activity sheet and in a collated document of all the info on the activity sheets.
    Good alphabetic code information is still thin on the ground I'm afraid.
    'oi' is not used at the end of words but can be beginning and middle - but 'oy' can be beginning, middle or the end of words.
    Build up a bank of words spelled with the two versions. Ultimately, children need to be familiar with spelling word banks.

6. http://www.phonicsinternational.com/
    donna - you'll find videos of the sounds and spelling alternatives on the homepage, and in 'unit 1', you'll find many versions of free alphabetic code charts.
    There is also a free guidance and information booklet at the top of unit 1 which is free.
    There are free assessments via a yellow box on the homepage.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm working with Ann at the moment [​IMG]

8. thanks for all ur help everyone, the oi and oy was an example, but i think i get it now thanks!!!