1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to teach partitionining in different ways?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Jan 7, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Why?

As in why do you need to teach it? Why do they need to learn it? Why would they ever want to partition 365 into anything other than 300, 60 and 5?

2. To understand that 25 can be 20+5 but it can also be 10+10+5 or 5+5+5+5+5.

3. So more different ways of making a number as apposed to partitioning I guess...

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I was about to suggest doing it the other way round...ask them 'How many ways can you make...?'

Differentiate the number you ask them to make, so less able might have 10 (number bonds), most a three digit number.

Maybe have them in pairs and have a race to find as many possibilities in 10 mins or some such.

Then as a plenary show the splitting a number. I'd not call it partitioning (because that implies hundreds, tens, units) but more, here is a number, how many ways can we split it up?

5. Just quoting the National Strategies with different ways of partitioning :p

Thank you for that, I like the race idea. Still not the post exciting lesson but it's not the most exciting unit but atleast a bit of competition will keep them engaged :D

6. Just something that sprung to mind...
    How about doing it through money as a starting point to limit partitioning choice to 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 and 200, so how many different coin combinations could they have to pay for something. So, for 365, something costing £3.65 could be
    200 + 100 + 50 + 10 + 5 i.e. £2, £1, 50p, 10p and 5p
    100 + 100 + 100 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1
    or whatever.
    For your high ability, set it as a challenge for who can come up with the most combinations and do they do it at random or do they use previous work to generate the next one...
    Hope that helps, feel free to ignore if not...

7. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

Hi munchkin,
    I would suggest using money as a context. You could give the children some 1p, 2p, 5p and 10p coins and ask them how many ways they can make all the amounts from 11p up to 20p for example or differentiate by total amount and coins.
    Also ask them to record their number sentences to match what they have done.
    Plenary could be sharing what they have found out and discussion about how they know if they have found all the ways.
    Depends if you have asked them to work systematically before ... if not, I would probably let them explore first and then discuss and model a good place to start.
    Carrie [​IMG]

8. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

Ahhh ... great minds and all that!

9. [​IMG]

10. I just came back here to say what I'd put into my plan and lo and behold...I decided to do it with money :D
    Maybe someone sent me inspiration ;)