1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to teach pairs of totals to 5. please help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by saira123, May 31, 2011.

1. saira123

saira123 New commenter

Hi
    I'm a student and I have been asked to teach year 1 children the number facts up to 5. However, children will already know these although not the corresponding subtraction facts. Any ideas on how to make this interesting as well as keeping the attention of the higher achievers? Advice desperately needed.

Thank you

2. saira123

saira123 New commenter

Hi
    I'm a student and I have been asked to teach year 1 children the number facts up to 5. However, children will already know these although not the corresponding subtraction facts. Any ideas on how to make this interesting as well as keeping the attention of the higher achievers? Advice desperately needed.

Thank you

3. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

I would suggest finding an image and context that would support understanding of this.
    For example - numicon really helps children to see how the relation between addition and subtraction as does cuisenaire.
    A context might involve a 'story' involving something relevant to the children whether that is money (price of 2 items and change from 5p) or something else that appeals and makes sense to them.
    Carrie [​IMG]

4. Get them to draw 2 vases - how many ways can they put 5 flowers in?

5. I'm a convert to Numicon but before we had that I used a few different ways
    e.g. a stick of unifix and played a game - how many can you see? How many am I hiding behind my back?
    How many digits on your hand - put a different number down and ask children to say how many are up/ guess how many are down
    Give children stick of unifix and 2 circles and let them partition.
    Use Cuisenaire rods - how many ways can you make a line as long as the five stick?
    Match number cards with dots then with numbers.
    Sort dominoes to find ones that add to 5 and record results.
    Hope this helps.
    When we got to 10 I used a ppt visual.

6. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Two paper plates and five biscuits. Or, five biscuits, one paper plate and one stomach.